Re: A word idea

  • ualarauans
    Message 1 of 7 , May 25, 2007
      Hi,

      I'd agree about *addi-hveitei F.-n (or maybe *addja-?). I'm not sure
      if the OE ending = Go. –ik-/-uk- as a diminutive suffix. If it was,
      then the Gothic form for "yolk" could be *gilwika M.-a, and for "eye
      white" (and "protein"?) *hveitika M.-a. What I would argue with a
      little more assuredness is that Slavik –úk- (like in be/ilok) can
      not be cognate to the Germanic forms, save in the case it was
      borrowed from there. The 1st consonant shift forbids that. The
      Germanic match is probably Go. –(e)igs, -ags/-ahs; OE –ig, -eg.

      Ualarauans

      Message 2 of 7 , May 25, 2007
        I'm not sure about the etymology of the suffix either, but OE 'geolca'
        is also attested as 'geoleca' and 'geoloca', the latter being the more
        archaic form, with -o- probably the adjective stem *w > *u > *o.

        > I'd agree about *addi-hveitei F.-n (or maybe *addja-?).

        Or *ai-hveitei or *addjis(a)-hveitei? The first = the root as
        inherited with no connecting vowel. The second would be an analogical
        formation, based on *addjis (thinking of Braune's observation that the
        old es/os-stems were all reinterpreted in Gothic as neuter a-stems).
        Maybe the best choice would be *addjis-hveitei, cf. sigis-laun.

        LN

        --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "ualarauans" <ualarauans@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I'd agree about *addi-hveitei F.-n (or maybe *addja-?). I'm not sure
        > if the OE ending = Go. –ik-/-uk- as a diminutive suffix. If it was,
        > then the Gothic form for "yolk" could be *gilwika M.-a, and for "eye
        > white" (and "protein"?) *hveitika M.-a. What I would argue with a
        > little more assuredness is that Slavik –úk- (like in be/ilok) can
        > not be cognate to the Germanic forms, save in the case it was
        > borrowed from there. The 1st consonant shift forbids that. The
        > Germanic match is probably Go. –(e)igs, -ags/-ahs; OE –ig, -eg.
        >
        > Ualarauans
        >
        > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, OSCAR HERRERA <duke.co@> wrote:
        > >
        > > how about adahveitam.....ada- egg and hveitam- whites
        > >
        > > Fredrik <gadrauhts@> wrote: Hi!
        > >
        > > I wonder if anyone knows the origin of the ending in OE
        > geolca/geoloca
        > > (the origin of yolk)which is added to geolu = yellow.
        > > If so, does gothic have any equivalent or could it be
        > reconstructed?
        > >
        > > Might this ending be cognate to the one in russian belki and
        > ukrainan
        > > bilok? These words mean protein and are made from bel- and bil-
        > meaning
        > > white.
        > >
        > > Since dutch name protein eiwitten and german eiweiße a word made
        > from
        > > the word white + the ending in OE geolca could create a word
        > meaning
        > > egg white or protein. (OE hwítca?)
        > >
        > > You see where this is going?
        > > I'd like to find out a gothic word for protein made from this.
        > >
        > > /Fredrik

      • ualarauans
        Message 3 of 7 , May 26, 2007
          --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "ualarauans" <ualarauans@...> wrote:

          > ... the Gothic form for "yolk" could be *gilwika M.-a, and for "eye
          > white" (and "protein"?) *hveitika M.-a.

          Of course, both are M.-an. Sorry.

          Ualarauans
        • Fredrik
          Message 4 of 7 , May 28, 2007
            --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "ualarauans" <ualarauans@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > I'd agree about *addi-hveitei F.-n (or maybe *addja-?).

            addi-hveitei is good enough for egg white.

            I'm not sure
            > if the OE ending = Go. –ik-/-uk- as a diminutive suffix.

            is this suffix a diminutive suffix?

            If it was,
            > then the Gothic form for "yolk" could be *gilwika M.-a, and
            for "eye
            > white" (and "protein"?) *hveitika M.-a.

            Maybe hveitika could be used for protein then to have different words
            for protein and egg white.

            What I would argue with a
            > little more assuredness is that Slavik –úk- (like in be/ilok) can
            > not be cognate to the Germanic forms, save in the case it was
            > borrowed from there. The 1st consonant shift forbids that. The
            > Germanic match is probably Go. –(e)igs, -ags/-ahs; OE –ig, -eg.

            I guessed so too, and I thought it couldve been a loan...maybe from
            gothic?

            /F
          • ualarauans
            Message 5 of 7 , May 28, 2007
              --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Fredrik" <gadrauhts@...> wrote:

              > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "ualarauans" <ualarauans@...>
              wrote:

              > I'm not sure
              > > if the OE ending = Go. –ik-/-uk- as a diminutive suffix.
              >
              > is this suffix a diminutive suffix?

              I guess so. At least it seems to have been used in pet names
              alongside with –il- which is surely diminutive, cf. *Hildiko F. in
              Getica, also *Gibika M. (atta Gunþiharjis, Geislaharjis jah
              Gudameris, kindine Baurgundjos, þaiei afar imma haihaitun jah
              Gibikuggos), ON Bjarki = Go. *Bairika M. "little bear". There must
              be more examples probably...

              > What I would argue with a
              > > little more assuredness is that Slavik –úk- (like in be/ilok) can
              > > not be cognate to the Germanic forms, save in the case it was
              > > borrowed from there. The 1st consonant shift forbids that. The
              > > Germanic match is probably Go. –(e)igs, -ags/-ahs; OE –ig, -eg.
              >
              > I guessed so too, and I thought it couldve been a loan...maybe from
              > gothic?

              Or it could be cognate to Latin –icus and Greek –ikos? I don't know,
              though.

              Ualarauans