Re: [gothic-l] A word idea

  • OSCAR HERRERA
    Message 1 of 7 , May 24 9:04 AM
      how about adahveitam.....ada- egg and hveitam- whites

      Fredrik <gadrauhts@...> wrote: Hi!

      I wonder if anyone knows the origin of the ending in OE geolca/geoloca
      (the origin of yolk)which is added to geolu = yellow.
      If so, does gothic have any equivalent or could it be reconstructed?

      Might this ending be cognate to the one in russian belki and ukrainan
      bilok? These words mean protein and are made from bel- and bil- meaning
      white.

      Since dutch name protein eiwitten and german eiweiße a word made from
      the word white + the ending in OE geolca could create a word meaning
      egg white or protein. (OE hwítca?)

      You see where this is going?
      I'd like to find out a gothic word for protein made from this.

      /Fredrik

    • ualarauans
      Message 2 of 7 , May 25 3:26 AM
        Hi,

        I'd agree about *addi-hveitei F.-n (or maybe *addja-?). I'm not sure
        if the OE ending = Go. –ik-/-uk- as a diminutive suffix. If it was,
        then the Gothic form for "yolk" could be *gilwika M.-a, and for "eye
        white" (and "protein"?) *hveitika M.-a. What I would argue with a
        little more assuredness is that Slavik –úk- (like in be/ilok) can
        not be cognate to the Germanic forms, save in the case it was
        borrowed from there. The 1st consonant shift forbids that. The
        Germanic match is probably Go. –(e)igs, -ags/-ahs; OE –ig, -eg.

        Ualarauans

        Message 3 of 7 , May 25 4:56 AM
          I'm not sure about the etymology of the suffix either, but OE 'geolca'
          is also attested as 'geoleca' and 'geoloca', the latter being the more
          archaic form, with -o- probably the adjective stem *w > *u > *o.

          > I'd agree about *addi-hveitei F.-n (or maybe *addja-?).

          Or *ai-hveitei or *addjis(a)-hveitei? The first = the root as
          inherited with no connecting vowel. The second would be an analogical
          formation, based on *addjis (thinking of Braune's observation that the
          old es/os-stems were all reinterpreted in Gothic as neuter a-stems).
          Maybe the best choice would be *addjis-hveitei, cf. sigis-laun.

          LN

          --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "ualarauans" <ualarauans@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I'd agree about *addi-hveitei F.-n (or maybe *addja-?). I'm not sure
          > if the OE ending = Go. –ik-/-uk- as a diminutive suffix. If it was,
          > then the Gothic form for "yolk" could be *gilwika M.-a, and for "eye
          > white" (and "protein"?) *hveitika M.-a. What I would argue with a
          > little more assuredness is that Slavik –úk- (like in be/ilok) can
          > not be cognate to the Germanic forms, save in the case it was
          > borrowed from there. The 1st consonant shift forbids that. The
          > Germanic match is probably Go. –(e)igs, -ags/-ahs; OE –ig, -eg.
          >
          > Ualarauans
          >
          > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, OSCAR HERRERA <duke.co@> wrote:
          > >
          > > how about adahveitam.....ada- egg and hveitam- whites
          > >
          > > Fredrik <gadrauhts@> wrote: Hi!
          > >
          > > I wonder if anyone knows the origin of the ending in OE
          > geolca/geoloca
          > > (the origin of yolk)which is added to geolu = yellow.
          > > If so, does gothic have any equivalent or could it be
          > reconstructed?
          > >
          > > Might this ending be cognate to the one in russian belki and
          > ukrainan
          > > bilok? These words mean protein and are made from bel- and bil-
          > meaning
          > > white.
          > >
          > > Since dutch name protein eiwitten and german eiweiße a word made
          > from
          > > the word white + the ending in OE geolca could create a word
          > meaning
          > > egg white or protein. (OE hwítca?)
          > >
          > > You see where this is going?
          > > I'd like to find out a gothic word for protein made from this.
          > >
          > > /Fredrik

        • ualarauans
          Message 4 of 7 , May 26 6:18 PM
            --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "ualarauans" <ualarauans@...> wrote:

            > ... the Gothic form for "yolk" could be *gilwika M.-a, and for "eye
            > white" (and "protein"?) *hveitika M.-a.

            Of course, both are M.-an. Sorry.

            Ualarauans
          • Fredrik
            Message 5 of 7 , May 28 6:28 AM
              --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "ualarauans" <ualarauans@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > I'd agree about *addi-hveitei F.-n (or maybe *addja-?).

              addi-hveitei is good enough for egg white.

              I'm not sure
              > if the OE ending = Go. –ik-/-uk- as a diminutive suffix.

              is this suffix a diminutive suffix?

              If it was,
              > then the Gothic form for "yolk" could be *gilwika M.-a, and
              for "eye
              > white" (and "protein"?) *hveitika M.-a.

              Maybe hveitika could be used for protein then to have different words
              for protein and egg white.

              What I would argue with a
              > little more assuredness is that Slavik –úk- (like in be/ilok) can
              > not be cognate to the Germanic forms, save in the case it was
              > borrowed from there. The 1st consonant shift forbids that. The
              > Germanic match is probably Go. –(e)igs, -ags/-ahs; OE –ig, -eg.

              I guessed so too, and I thought it couldve been a loan...maybe from
              gothic?

              /F
            • ualarauans
              Message 6 of 7 , May 28 6:11 PM
                --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Fredrik" <gadrauhts@...> wrote:

                > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "ualarauans" <ualarauans@...>
                wrote:

                > I'm not sure
                > > if the OE ending = Go. –ik-/-uk- as a diminutive suffix.
                >
                > is this suffix a diminutive suffix?

                I guess so. At least it seems to have been used in pet names
                alongside with –il- which is surely diminutive, cf. *Hildiko F. in
                Getica, also *Gibika M. (atta Gunþiharjis, Geislaharjis jah
                Gudameris, kindine Baurgundjos, þaiei afar imma haihaitun jah
                Gibikuggos), ON Bjarki = Go. *Bairika M. "little bear". There must
                be more examples probably...

                > What I would argue with a
                > > little more assuredness is that Slavik –úk- (like in be/ilok) can
                > > not be cognate to the Germanic forms, save in the case it was
                > > borrowed from there. The 1st consonant shift forbids that. The
                > > Germanic match is probably Go. –(e)igs, -ags/-ahs; OE –ig, -eg.
                >
                > I guessed so too, and I thought it couldve been a loan...maybe from
                > gothic?

                Or it could be cognate to Latin –icus and Greek –ikos? I don't know,
                though.

                Ualarauans