Re: Verb inflections

    Message 1 of 2 , May 23, 2007
      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "g_scaff" <g_scaff@...> wrote:

      > Greetings all,
      > Would someone please assist me with understanding verb
      > inflections? For example, class IV verb "qiman", to come, arrive --
      > (From verbix.com and Mr. Snaedal's concordance)
      >
      > This is what I've gleaned-
      > qiman--I come

      No, this could be the infinitive, "(to) come", or it could be the
      neuter singular nominative/accusative past participle, "come".

      > qam-I came

      That's right, or it could also be the 3rd person singular: he, she or
      it came.

      > qimau- I wish to come
      >
      > qemjau- I wanted to come

      These two are 1st person singular subjunctive forms, present and past
      respectively. It's not possible to give one exact English equivalent
      that will express all of the same meanings that the Gothic subjunctive
      does. For details on how the subjunctive is used in Gothic, see
      Joseph Wright: A Grammar of the Gothic Language, pages 191-194 [
      http://lexicon.ff.cuni.cz/texts/goth_wright_about.html ].

      > qimands-?
      >
      > qimandans--
      > qimanda--
      > qimandei-

      This is the present participle, "coming", with various inflections.
      You can find the full declension on page 111 of Wright's grammar [
      http://lexicon.ff.cuni.cz/png/goth_wright/b0111.png ]. He uses a
      different verb as his example, but the endings are the same.

      > qumans-----
      > qumana--

      This is the past participle. 'qumans' has the masculine nominative
      singular ending; 'qumana' is feminine nominative/accusative singular,
      or neuter nominative/accusative plural. The past participle is
      inflected as a regular a-stem adjective, like 'blinds' in Wright's
      example [ http://lexicon.ff.cuni.cz/png/goth_wright/b0105.png ].

      LN