Verb inflections

  • g_scaff
    Message 1 of 2 , May 23, 2007
      Greetings all,
      Would someone please assist me with understanding verb
      inflections? For example, class IV verb "qiman", to come, arrive --
      (From verbix.com and Mr. Snaedal's concordance)

      This is what I've gleaned-
      qiman--I come

      qam-I came

      qimau- I wish to come

      qemjau- I wanted to come

      qimands-?

      qimandans--
      qimanda--
      qimandei-
      qumans-----
      qumana--
      Thank you, Gregory
      Message 2 of 2 , May 23, 2007
        --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "g_scaff" <g_scaff@...> wrote:

        > Greetings all,
        > Would someone please assist me with understanding verb
        > inflections? For example, class IV verb "qiman", to come, arrive --
        > (From verbix.com and Mr. Snaedal's concordance)
        >
        > This is what I've gleaned-
        > qiman--I come

        No, this could be the infinitive, "(to) come", or it could be the
        neuter singular nominative/accusative past participle, "come".

        > qam-I came

        That's right, or it could also be the 3rd person singular: he, she or
        it came.

        > qimau- I wish to come
        >
        > qemjau- I wanted to come

        These two are 1st person singular subjunctive forms, present and past
        respectively. It's not possible to give one exact English equivalent
        that will express all of the same meanings that the Gothic subjunctive
        does. For details on how the subjunctive is used in Gothic, see
        Joseph Wright: A Grammar of the Gothic Language, pages 191-194 [
        http://lexicon.ff.cuni.cz/texts/goth_wright_about.html ].

        > qimands-?
        >
        > qimandans--
        > qimanda--
        > qimandei-

        This is the present participle, "coming", with various inflections.
        You can find the full declension on page 111 of Wright's grammar [
        http://lexicon.ff.cuni.cz/png/goth_wright/b0111.png ]. He uses a
        different verb as his example, but the endings are the same.

        > qumans-----
        > qumana--

        This is the past participle. 'qumans' has the masculine nominative
        singular ending; 'qumana' is feminine nominative/accusative singular,
        or neuter nominative/accusative plural. The past participle is
        inflected as a regular a-stem adjective, like 'blinds' in Wright's
        example [ http://lexicon.ff.cuni.cz/png/goth_wright/b0105.png ].

        LN