Re: [gothic-l] Re: New file uploaded to gothic-l (Christmas and Yule)

  • Michael Erwin
    Message 1 of 96 , May 1, 2007
      I'm not familiar with the traditional northern European calendars.
      Some quick questions (1) how do we know the Gothic months line up
      with Roman months? (2) how do we know whether the Gothic traditional
      calendar was solar or lunar? (3) how do we know whether the Gothic
      ecclesiastical calendar was solar or lunar?

      With solar calendars, the months could start slightly earlier or
      later, e.g. the nearest January-equivalent starting Dec. 22nd. With
      lunar calendars, the months would shift back and forth. The last
      month would periodically double. The calendar fragment seems to line
      up with November, but that would happen from time to time with lunar
      calendars. The Easter calculations combine solar (equinox) and lunar
      (1st sunday after 1st sabbath after 1st full moon after...) elements
      so a lunar ecclesiastical calendar isn't impossible.
    • gothic-l@yahoogroups.com
      Message 96 of 96 , Feb 5, 2015
        Hello,

        a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the gothic-l
        group.

        File : /Original Visigothic Poems/Inclite parentis alme Christe
        Uploaded by : lingua22 <roellingua@...>
        Description : A visigothic poem from the Azagra Codex

        You can access this file at the URL:

        Regards,

        lingua22 <roellingua@...>