Re: New file uploaded to gothic-l (Christmas and Yule)

  • Ingemar Nordgren
    Message 1 of 96 , May 1, 2007
      Why do I never think before sending!

      May is of course Summer month - sommarmånaden. It is natural since the
      Nordic summer starts as I wrote yesterday around the 5th of May. That
      is quite proven and hence May is Sommarmånaden. It is however not
      mentioned in the Bondepraktika.

      So we have now the natural list (as it should be):

      January - Midvintermånad/Midwinter month
      February - Göjemånad
      March - Torsmånad/Torre månad /Plogmånad/Ploughing-/Planting-)?
      April - Vårmånad/Spring month
      May - Sommarmånad/summer month
      June - Midsommarmånad/Midsummer month
      July - Hömånad/Hay month
      August - Skördemånad/Harwest month
      September - Höstmånad/Autumn month
      October - Slaktmånad/Slaughter month
      November - Vintermånad/Winter month (Winter starts c:a 4 nov.)
      December - Julmånad/Yule month

      Comment: According to Hellquist Torsmånad/Torre was originally in
      March but was later understood as January.It could both be interpreted
      as Þórr and as 'dry' winter. There is disagreement since nobody knows
      for sure. Still it fits with Tor and ploughing. Göje is the first
      Newmoon after January.

      Best
      Ingemar

    • gothic-l@yahoogroups.com
      Message 96 of 96 , Feb 5
        Hello,

        a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the gothic-l
        group.

        File : /Original Visigothic Poems/Inclite parentis alme Christe
        Uploaded by : lingua22 <roellingua@...>
        Description : A visigothic poem from the Azagra Codex

        You can access this file at the URL:

        Regards,

        lingua22 <roellingua@...>