Re: New file uploaded to gothic-l (Christmas and Yule)

    Message 1 of 96 , May 1, 2007
      > Feb. OE supports Sauil-,

      All the sources I've seen cite 'sol' in OE Solmónaþ with a short
      vowel: OE sol, n. "mud, mire, wet sand, wallowing place",
      solu/solwe/sylu/syle, f. "mire, miry place"; sol, adjective "filthy",
      solian "to make/become dirty", sylian "to make dirty", related by
      ablaut to Go. bi-sáuljan. So February is the muddy month, February
      Fill-dyke (German variants: Volburn, Vulneburn), rather than the sunny
      month!

      http://runeberg.org/svetym/1029.html
      http://runeberg.org/svetym/0911.html

      Compare also the German name: Sollman (Selle, Sille, Sulle, Silmaent);
      perhaps semantically related to Zelle, Zille, Zulle (cf. Go. *tulla
      "sod", borrowed into Italian and distinguishable from Langobardic by
      the unshifted initial consonant)?

      LN

      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "thiudans" <thiudans@...> wrote:

      > Hails
      >
      > Good idea. It seems month names could be more flexible and adaptable
      > in the Germanic world. I think it reasonable to take those month-names
      > which most closely harmonize with the agricultural schedule of the
      > societies in the area where Goths lived during the 4th century.
      > According to the wiki page on Germanic calendars, December has Jul or
      > its variant.
      >
      > January in OE, ON supports Jiuleis. OHG supports *hardu-menoths or
      > maybe eisa-
      >
      > Feb. OE supports Sauil-, OHG supports Haurna-
      > Mar. OE Hre∂, ON supports Go. aina-mnths., OHG supports Go.
      > ?*Laggi(?t[h])an(-mnths.)
      >
      > May, OE & OHG support *threi- or *thrija-miluk-
      >
      > June OE uses the Li∂ system; ON supports *Sauil- and OHG has
      Brach-

    • gothic-l@yahoogroups.com
      Message 96 of 96 , Feb 5
        Hello,

        a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the gothic-l
        group.

        File : /Original Visigothic Poems/Inclite parentis alme Christe
        Uploaded by : lingua22 <roellingua@...>
        Description : A visigothic poem from the Azagra Codex

        You can access this file at the URL:

        Regards,

        lingua22 <roellingua@...>