Re: New file uploaded to gothic-l (Christmas and Yule)

  • thiudans
    Message 1 of 96 , May 1, 2007
      Hails

      Good idea. It seems month names could be more flexible and adaptable
      in the Germanic world. I think it reasonable to take those month-names
      which most closely harmonize with the agricultural schedule of the
      societies in the area where Goths lived during the 4th century.
      According to the wiki page on Germanic calendars, December has Jul or
      its variant.

      January in OE, ON supports Jiuleis. OHG supports *hardu-menoths or
      maybe eisa-

      Feb. OE supports Sauil-, OHG supports Haurna-
      Mar. OE Hre∂, ON supports Go. aina-mnths., OHG supports Go.
      ?*Laggi(?t[h])an(-mnths.)

      May, OE & OHG support *threi- or *thrija-miluk-

      June OE uses the Li∂ system; ON supports *Sauil- and OHG has Brach-
      "fallow"

      July ON and OHG both support Go. *hawi- or hauja-mnths.

      Aug. revolves around plants and harvest: Go. *asani-mnths "harvest month".

      Sep. OE, ON and OHG all support Go. *harbisi-mnths. "picking month".

      Oct. lacks agreement.

      Nov. might be something like nibla-mnths. or friuza-mnths.

      Dec. would be Fruma Jiuleis I think.

      It might be good to consider monthnames in the style of ON Heyannir,
      OHG Scheiding, etc., that is the abstract or poetic terms rather than
      forms dependent on suffixing -menoths.

    • gothic-l@yahoogroups.com
      Message 96 of 96 , Feb 5
        Hello,

        a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the gothic-l
        group.

        File : /Original Visigothic Poems/Inclite parentis alme Christe
        Uploaded by : lingua22 <roellingua@...>
        Description : A visigothic poem from the Azagra Codex

        You can access this file at the URL:

        Regards,

        lingua22 <roellingua@...>