Re: New file uploaded to gothic-l (Christmas and Yule)

  • ualarauans
    Message 1 of 96 , Apr 30, 2007

      > Many thanks for this Arthur. I read it ages ago, but had
      completely
      > forgotten that detail about the phantom status of *Naubaimbair!
      >
      > http://www.modeemi.cs.tut.fi/~david/index.html
      > http://www.modeemi.cs.tut.fi/~david/report.pdf
      >
      > The relevant section is on p. 54. Which leaves us with just 'fruma
      > jiuleis' as the name of the month, and no way of knowing whether
      the
      > illegible word was a synonym (*Naubaimbair or otherwise) or
      something
      > else entirely.

      But if Naubaimbair is a fancy, what's worth our reconstruction of
      the Gothic month names based on Latin? If only fruma jiuleis is
      attested, then one could logically suppose that all other Gothic
      month names were also Germanic. Afaik there were several Calender
      traditions in Germania, with their own month names. Which of them
      are we to follow? E.g. OHG and OE give only one match which could
      speak for Go. Austramenoþs "April".

      Ualarauans

      > Re. alternative names, I just came across the following Old West
      Norse
      > and Old Swedish proposals: Dróttins burðar tíð; gudz födzlo hötidh
      [
      > http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julfest ], neither of which caught on.
      > So maybe we could have: 'fraujins mel gabaurþais', or similar.
      Bit of
      > a mouthful, I know... Thinks: does the final vowel in
      Finnish 'juhla'
    • gothic-l@yahoogroups.com
      Message 96 of 96 , Feb 5, 2015
        Hello,

        a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the gothic-l
        group.

        File : /Original Visigothic Poems/Inclite parentis alme Christe
        Uploaded by : lingua22 <roellingua@...>
        Description : A visigothic poem from the Azagra Codex

        You can access this file at the URL:

        Regards,

        lingua22 <roellingua@...>