Re: New file uploaded to gothic-l (of eggs and cats and Danes, k.t.l.)

  • thiudans
    Message 1 of 96 , Apr 24, 2007
      > Maybe we should have a second, more definitive file which will start
      > off small and grow gradually, and only contain words that have been
      > posted here (just a few at a time, so that all interested parties have
      > chance to reply, and to do any research necessary) for discussion and
      > agreed on.
      > > > "egg ái, n. (addj-)". - Why not addi in nom.?

      I have this now as *addjis, na. (z). Is that incorrect? What is the the
      second most likely form? Addi?

      > > "accusative þula-drusts, a."
      > > "genitive aigina-drusts, a."
      > > "dative giba-drusts, a."
      > > "nominative nama-drusts, a."
      > > "instrumental hve-drusts, a." – I guess these are all names of
      > > grammatical cases and hence nouns?
      > Yes, although I suggest we go with your suggestion of: hvana-drus,
      > hvis-drus, hvamma-drus, hvas-drus, hve-drus.

      I'll include both forms for the time being. drusts has been corrected to
      "fi." and drus to "mi.".
      > > "stairno-witja", "stairno-leisei". - Weak nouns have –a- as a
      > > bindvowel [Braune/Helm, 1952:53], cf. auga-dauro, qina-kunds, wilja-
      > > halþei etc. So, maybe stairna-witja, stairna-leisei?

      Thank you. Corrected.

      > > "briuwan, 1". - Sure, it's not briggwan?
      > Agreed, it ought to be *briggwan.

      Thanks. Corrected. I wonder on some of the stuff that came from Grimm's
      ideas. It will have to be re-read to determine value.

      > How about: 'kattus', mu. "cat" (=ON köttr, mu., Lat. cattus);
      > "female cat", fon (=OE catte, etc.); *kataza "male cat, tomcat" (OHG
      > chataro). Romance forms come from Popular Latin *cattus, *catta. On
      > Lat. 'catus', the OED comments: "Palladius, ? c 350, has catus,
      > elsewhere scanned ca:tus (Lewis and Short), and prob. in both cases
      > properly cattus."

      Thank you.

      > > "Dane Dana mn." - ON Danir pl. M.-i. Maybe Dans, pl. Daneis;
      > > Danimarka?
      > Agreed. There is some more detailed discussion of this in the
      > Theudiskon archives, if anyone has time to track it down. If I
      > remember rightly, Konrad argued in favour of a regular i-stem in
      > Proto-Norse (cf. OE Dene, pl., and the name ON Hálfdanr, OE
      > Healfdene), which was only later replaced with weak forms in the
      > singular. I believe we also discussed "English" -- but I don't
      > remember any firm conclusion being reached as to whether to
      > reconstruct with a vowel intervening betw. /ng/ and /l/.

      Yes. I support a medial "i" in Agg(i)l- but I admit both seem possible
      going all the way back to PGmc.

      > > > "badus, mwa", "badwa, fo". - Shouldn't we mark them as "poetic"?
      > > doubt that they still existed in the spoken language in the time of
      > > the Bible translation.
      > Good idea to mark words as poetic. ON böð and OE beado are both
      > Koebler has: "*badwo, germ., F.: nhd. Kampf, Streit, P[ersonal]
      > N[name] ([recorded c.] 100)." Is there any justification for this
      > masculine form? Can we suppose that it was confined to personal

      I'm using "(poet.)" for this. I was going to use a superscript "p" or a
      dagger, but then we would get into the problem of having a key or list
      of definitions. Badus is marked with "(PN only)".

      > > > "fanigs". - faneigs?
      > Maybe, but for a possible justification for the reduced vowel, see [
      > http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/gothic-l/message/9558 ]. Or to
      > save complications: *fanahs, like 'stainahs'.

      I include the alternative, but I prefer fanigs because it shows
      connection to Go. fani (nja.) "mud, mire, clay" and less to Go. fana
      (mn.) "flag, piece of cloth".

      > > > "Greek (Lat. Graecus) Krekus, ma." - Either Kreks, ma. (attested)
      > > Krekus, mu.
      > Go with the attested form, Kreks, surely?!

      I've deleted the entry as it does not have a place in a neoligsms list.

      > > > "Greens (pol. party) gronjans, ja.pl." - mn. pl.?
      > I suppose this is just a matter of deciding how we define
      > substantivised adjectives. man.pl. seems like a good idea, given that
      > it has a meaning that can't be predicted from knowing that the
      > adjective *groneis, ja/jo indicates a certain colour.

      Thank you.

      > I agree too with the points Uararauans has made about *latists and the
      > need for medial -d- in derivatives of liuhaþ, liuahada-.
      > LN

      Thank you for your corrections and suggestions. I'll keep the latest few
      versions on the files page with dated titles.

    • gothic-l@yahoogroups.com
      Message 96 of 96 , Feb 5

        a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the gothic-l

        File : /Original Visigothic Poems/Inclite parentis alme Christe
        Uploaded by : lingua22 <roellingua@...>
        Description : A visigothic poem from the Azagra Codex

        You can access this file at the URL:

        lingua22 <roellingua@...>