Re: Contemporary language. [Database]

  • ualarauans
    Message 1 of 40 , Apr 17, 2007
      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "thiudans" <thiudans@...> wrote:

      > Gothic has already the word "usmet", na. for culture. It also means
      > behavior, conduct, life of a citizen, cultural community, society,
      > polity and way of life.

      I'd doubt that usmet means "culture". Let's see the examples:

      1. Tim. 4:12

      MHDEIS SOU THS NEOTHTOS KATAFRONEITW ALLA TUPOS GINOU TWN PISTWN EN
      LOGWi EN _ANASTROFHi_ EN AGAPHi EN PISTEI EN AGNEIAi

      ni manna þeinai jundai frakunni, ak frisahts sijais þaim
      galaubjandam in waurda, in _usmeta_, in friaþwai, in galaubeinai, in
      swikniþai

      Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the
      believers, in word, in _conversation_, in charity, in spirit, in
      faith, in purity

      2. Tim. 3:10

      SU DE PARHKOLOUQHSAS MOU THi DIDASKALIAi THi _AGWGHi_ THi PROQESEI
      THi PISTEI THi MAKROQUMIAi THi AGAPHi THi hUPOMONHi

      þu galaista is laiseinai meinai, _usmeta_, muna, [sidau,]
      galaubeinai, usbeisnai, frijaþwai, þulainai

      But thou hast fully known my doctrine, _manner of life_, purpose,
      faith, longsuffering, charity, patience

      Eph. 2:12

      hOTI HTE TWi KAIRWi EKEINWi CWRIS CRISTOU APHLLOTRIWMENOI THS
      _POLITEIAS_ TOU ISRAHL KAI XENOI TWN DIAQHKWN THS EPAGGELIAS ELPIDA
      MH ECONTES KAI AQEOI EN TWi KOSMWi

      unte wesuþ þan in jainamma mela inu Xristu, framaþjai _usmetis_
      Israelis jah gasteis gahaite trausteis, wen ni habandans jah
      gudalausai in manasedai

      That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the
      _commonwealth_ of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of
      promise, having no hope, and without God in the world

      Eph. 4:22

      APOQEESQAI hUMAS KATA THN PROTERAN _ANASTROFHN_ TON PALAION ANQRWPON
      TON FQEIROMENON KATA TAS EPIQUMIAS THS APATHS

      ei aflagjaiþ jus bi frumin _usmeta_ þana fairnjan mannan þana
      riurjan bi lustum afmarzeinais

      That ye put off concerning the former _conversation_ the old man,
      which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts

      Also, in Skeireins:

      Skeir. 1:6

      ...iþ sunjos kunþi du aftraanastodeinai þize in guda _usmete_
      gasatjan

      which Streitberg [1910:162, s. v. usmet] leads back to Greek THS
      ENTQEOU _POLITEIAS_;

      Skeir. 1:7

      ...jah spilla wairþan aiwaggeljons _usmete_

      Cf. also the verb us-mitan for ANASTREFEIN "to walk", "to
      behave", "to dwell"; POLITEUEIN "to be a citizen".

      Usmet may seem to be not a bad word for "archaeological culture" if
      we understand it as "way of life" or "community". Still,
      *arkaiulaugikeina kultura would create a more strict term.

      > For archaeology Icelandic has fornleifafrædi. This in Gothic might
      be
      > ? *fairnjalaibafrodei

      Are there attested examples of Gothic tripartite compounds? Doesn't
      it seem a bit cumbersome? Maybe it would do if we are simply to
      project Icelandic back into 2nd – 3rd centuries CE. "The wisdom of
      the old remains" – that sounds beautiful, of course. Still, maybe
      just fairnja-frodei (both elements alliterate) or fairnja-kunþi (cf.
      Altertumskunde)? What's your suggestion for "antiquity"?

      Ualarauans
    • ualarauans
      Message 40 of 40 , Apr 17, 2007