Re: Testing [LN's words]

  • thiudans
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 17, 2007
      Ok. This is shorter than the original because I navigated away from the
      page.
      I admit I became very angry.

      Let us remember to attempt to think Gothicly and not need word for word
      translation for things like "and um..." and "interesting! hmph!" etc.
      That being said...

      > Here, by way of experiment, is a little list that I made a while ago
      > after some earlier discussions we had here. How do people feel about
      > the format? The only change from standard Biblical Gothic orthography
      > is the use of 'ng', for the sake of clarity. In defense of this,
      > don't forget that 'ng' does appear as a variant (along with 'gg') in
      > the manuscripts. I'm happy to stick with the distinctive looking 'gk'
      > for /nk/. I'm tempted to recommend diacritics ái aí, etc. --
      for the
      > sake of clarity -- in the finished version. It's easier to remove
      > information that to go through a whole dictionary afterwards adding it
      > if we change our minds!
      >
      > and-waibjan (sik), unwind, develop.

      Also see meanings for wahstus, -wahsjan

      > boka-leisei, fin. literature.
      > faihu-fasteis, mja. economist.
      > faihu-leisei, fin. finance, economics.

      faihu works fine. also *garda-tewa or *heiwa-ga-freideins
      which are based on the Greek words more.

      > fiþraks, ma. wing.

      I understand the velar consonant. Koebler mentions
      "Tierbezeichnungen..."
      However for the sake of simplicity and to remain free from extravagance
      in reconstruction let us consider these, based on Orel:

      *fiþr, na., fiþra, fo. "feather"
      *fiþrja, napl., perhaps reclassed as *fiþri, na. (±ga-)
      "feathers, wing, plumage"
      *fiþra-hams, ma. *fiþra-hama, mn. "wings, plumage, winged haunch"
      *fiþrjan, 1. (±bi-) "feather"; (±ga-) "give wings"

      > gauma-wairþs, a. noteworthy, interesting.

      Alternates (to avoid connotation of "goiter, tumor"):
      *kari-, *(at)wita-, *hugi-, *silda-wairþs

      > gleza-mahts, fi. electrical power, electricity.

      Orel has glasan, glazan for this root.
      A second root would give us Go. *rafs (b) "amber"
      Maybe something like lauhmuni would work?
      Or something with -runs or *-straums "current".
      Also there is a PGmc. *glason "shining from lightnings; grey-blue"

      > hugi-sahts, fi. idea.

      I'm not convinced on -sahts as a standalone for "image"
      Manleika does this, as does of course frisahts and maybe galeiki.
      But following Ic. we might use *hugi-minds, fi. or simply Go. waurd,
      which might fit almost all meanings of "idea". Platonic sense too?
      ideal (of an idea or ideation) would be *hugisiuns (noun in fi., adj.
      in ja. after Go. anasiuns "visible"), based on Ic. "hugsjón". The
      common usage meaning "most preferable" or "best" would be expressed
      by Go. fullawita, fullatojis, fulls, allandjis, fagrs, fagrost-, etc.

      > in-wageins, fi/o. emotion.
      > qiu-sahts, fi. film, movie.

      qiu-fri-sahts might work, or qiu-man-leika. Unfortunate these are
      but I just don't see a "living accusation" or "living litigation" or
      even
      "living case" being stretched this far. I think sahts (< sakan) moved
      semantically like this, with the fri- prefix at least: suit > case >
      affair
      , matter > thing.

      > stoma-stafs (b), mi. chemical element.
      > tungla-fasteis, mja. astronomer.
      > tungla-leisei, fin. astronomy.
      > us-wageins, fi/o. excitement.
      > ga-maini-hansa, fo. collective.
      > rauks, mi. smoke, steam, vapour.
      > ga-waurki-hansa, fo. (business) company, corporation.

      Hansa seems to have a military sense in Gothic.
      Can we use Go. (*waurki-)gamain(du)þs in this sense?
      Other germanic languages give us ideas for words
      such as *leikaskafts, fi., *ga-sinþi, nia.
      *gasaliskafts, fi.? Gamainþs is very similar to the
      German word Gemeinde "corporation".
      *gadaurs, na. "venture", or simply gawaurki "comm. undertaking"
      in an wider sense, as in German Unternehmen.
      Perhaps *gagaggi "fellowship, company" modeled
      on fauragaggi "administration, management"
      Related words:
      *kaups, ma. "trade, business, transaction"
      despite att. Go. gawaurki "business deal"
      ? *kaupja, mn. *kaupareis, mia. "merchant"

      > wehings, ma. wing.

      also see *fiþr etc. above.
      BTW where did you get your etymology of wing?
      FFT doesn't seem to have it.

      > wisti-fasteis, mja. physicist.
      > wisti-leisei, fin. physics.
      > wisti-stafs (b), mi. elementary particle.

      Houellenbecq's book would be "Wisti-stabeis" in Gothic? :)

      > wokra-hansa, fo. banking company.

      For banking: Go. *skatteins or *skatti-kaups? (cf. skattja 'banker')
      exchange: *skattiïnmaideinais staþs?