Re: Contemporary language.

  • Justïn
    Message 1 of 40 , Apr 14, 2007
      I strongly prefer that we be as definite and avoid as much confusion
      as possible, as I would love for this project to become a normative
      list. I strongly, strongly prefer that we mark the differences
      between ái, aí, áu, and aú, etc. Use Þþ, etc. I think the diacretial
      marks in general are a part of the language we too often disregard due
      to technilogical restraints, but if the list becomes a .doc file, even
      without international keyboard settings they can be inserted with
      relative ease, especially for vocabulary lists. This is my
      preference, feel free to disagree. As far as marking strong vs. weak
      verbs in this way or that, whatever is clearest and most descriptive.
      As long as we publish some sort of key online and establish one,
      singular way, we can all learn it once and be in accord.
    • ualarauans
      Message 40 of 40 , Apr 17, 2007
        --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "thiudans" <thiudans@...> wrote:

        > Gothic has already the word "usmet", na. for culture. It also means
        > behavior, conduct, life of a citizen, cultural community, society,
        > polity and way of life.

        I'd doubt that usmet means "culture". Let's see the examples:

        1. Tim. 4:12

        MHDEIS SOU THS NEOTHTOS KATAFRONEITW ALLA TUPOS GINOU TWN PISTWN EN
        LOGWi EN _ANASTROFHi_ EN AGAPHi EN PISTEI EN AGNEIAi

        ni manna þeinai jundai frakunni, ak frisahts sijais þaim
        galaubjandam in waurda, in _usmeta_, in friaþwai, in galaubeinai, in
        swikniþai

        Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the
        believers, in word, in _conversation_, in charity, in spirit, in
        faith, in purity

        2. Tim. 3:10

        SU DE PARHKOLOUQHSAS MOU THi DIDASKALIAi THi _AGWGHi_ THi PROQESEI
        THi PISTEI THi MAKROQUMIAi THi AGAPHi THi hUPOMONHi

        þu galaista is laiseinai meinai, _usmeta_, muna, [sidau,]
        galaubeinai, usbeisnai, frijaþwai, þulainai

        But thou hast fully known my doctrine, _manner of life_, purpose,
        faith, longsuffering, charity, patience

        Eph. 2:12

        hOTI HTE TWi KAIRWi EKEINWi CWRIS CRISTOU APHLLOTRIWMENOI THS
        _POLITEIAS_ TOU ISRAHL KAI XENOI TWN DIAQHKWN THS EPAGGELIAS ELPIDA
        MH ECONTES KAI AQEOI EN TWi KOSMWi

        unte wesuþ þan in jainamma mela inu Xristu, framaþjai _usmetis_
        Israelis jah gasteis gahaite trausteis, wen ni habandans jah
        gudalausai in manasedai

        That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the
        _commonwealth_ of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of
        promise, having no hope, and without God in the world

        Eph. 4:22

        APOQEESQAI hUMAS KATA THN PROTERAN _ANASTROFHN_ TON PALAION ANQRWPON
        TON FQEIROMENON KATA TAS EPIQUMIAS THS APATHS

        ei aflagjaiþ jus bi frumin _usmeta_ þana fairnjan mannan þana
        riurjan bi lustum afmarzeinais

        That ye put off concerning the former _conversation_ the old man,
        which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts

        Also, in Skeireins:

        Skeir. 1:6

        ...iþ sunjos kunþi du aftraanastodeinai þize in guda _usmete_
        gasatjan

        which Streitberg [1910:162, s. v. usmet] leads back to Greek THS
        ENTQEOU _POLITEIAS_;

        Skeir. 1:7

        ...jah spilla wairþan aiwaggeljons _usmete_

        Cf. also the verb us-mitan for ANASTREFEIN "to walk", "to
        behave", "to dwell"; POLITEUEIN "to be a citizen".

        Usmet may seem to be not a bad word for "archaeological culture" if
        we understand it as "way of life" or "community". Still,
        *arkaiulaugikeina kultura would create a more strict term.

        > For archaeology Icelandic has fornleifafrædi. This in Gothic might
        be
        > ? *fairnjalaibafrodei

        Are there attested examples of Gothic tripartite compounds? Doesn't
        it seem a bit cumbersome? Maybe it would do if we are simply to
        project Icelandic back into 2nd – 3rd centuries CE. "The wisdom of
        the old remains" – that sounds beautiful, of course. Still, maybe
        just fairnja-frodei (both elements alliterate) or fairnja-kunþi (cf.
        Altertumskunde)? What's your suggestion for "antiquity"?

        Ualarauans