RE: [gothic-l] Chernyakhov Settlements?

  • Егоров Владимир
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 20, 2007
      Unfortunately, none comprehensive references, but this map looks very impressive:

      http://gumilevica.kulichki.net/maps/heu108.html

      Vladimir

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 20, 2007
        The map looks impressive indeed but, at least for
        Romania, is wrong. The Cernjachov cemeteries and
        settlements are to be found in the eastern part,
        namely in Moldavia and Walachia, not in Oltenia, not
        in Banat and not in the western and northern parts of
        Transylvania.

        A repertoire with the Cernjachov finds in Romania:
        Florin Petrescu, Repertoriul monumentelor de tip
        Cerneahov-Sântana de Mures de pe teritoriul României.
        Bucharest: Ars Docendi (2001). Here 158 settlements
        are listed but few have been excavated to a greater
        extent (Iasi-Nicolina, Birlad-Valea Seaca etc.)

        Alec

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 20, 2007
          Well, there is something:

          and Attribution pt 1
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Heathenhistory/message/1807 GFC-SMC:
          Settlements- Building Types
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Heathenhistory/message/1816 GFC-SMC: Ethnic
          Identities pt 1
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Heathenhistory/message/1817 GFC-SMC: Ethnic
          Identities pt 2

          *Interpretations of the Eurasian Iron Age*
          **
          http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:0Zz8tUNL-LAJ:www.csen.org/BAR%2520Book/05%2520Part%25204%2520(1.0).%2520Iron.Int.pdf+Sintana-de-Mures+%C4%8Cernjachov&hl=ru&ct=clnk&cd=27&gl=ua
          (http://www.csen.org/BAR%20Book/05%20Part%204%20(1.0).%20Iron.Int.pdf)

          *The battle of Adrianople and the sack of
          Rome*<http://bss.sfsu.edu/mwilliams/hist325/collins_47-60.pdf>
          http://bss.sfsu.edu/mwilliams/hist325/collins_47-60.pdf

          In polish :
          http://www.historycy.org/index.php?showtopic=21153&view=findpost&p=243301
          And in russian, if you read:
          http://stratum.ant.md/4_00/articles/Sciuk_shar/sciuk_shar01.htm
          http://stratum.ant.md/4_00/articles/Sciuk_shar/sciuk_shar02.htm

          And the swedish paper:
          www.arkeologi.uu.se/publications/GoR/4.pdf

          Book-links http://www.cpu.co.uk/Archaeopress/searchBar.asp:
          --------------------
          *Death Ritual and Germanic Social Structure (c. AD 200-600) *by Mads Ravn.
          ISBN 1841715328. Ł31.00. iii+151 pages; 93 figures, maps, plans, drawings,
          photographs; 14-page bibliography.

          The aim of this book is to understand the development of the social
          structure of Germanic society in selected parts of "Germania Libera" in
          Europe from around c. 200 AD to 600 AD. Social structure here is primarily
          defined as the way the Germanic tribes perceived and expressed themselves
          and their worldview through their texts, their person, gender, family,
          lineage, tribe, and internal social and religious relations in the material
          culture. This book incorporates a relatively large time span which
          highlights aspects of Germanic social structure not identified in
          traditional shorter studies dictated by arbitrarily defined periods and
          areas. The focus is especially on the way Migration period cemeteries are
          differently or similarly structured within Germanic society. The Migration
          period is defined widely as the time from c. AD 200-600. In England, the
          equivalent time period is called late Roman and Early Saxon. When the
          cemeteries are analysed, other find categories are discussed in broader
          terms, together with analogies from social anthropology and from written
          sources, in this case, contemporary and later sources. One of the aims of
          the work is to look more closely at the singularity of the archaeological
          material in south-eastern Europe as a means of assessing the relevance of
          the written sources in the same area about social structure in both Southern
          and Northern Europe, especially in Scandinavia. (It also involves exploring
          the controversial source of Beowulf). The nine chapters focus on Germanic
          social structure; theoretical and methodological approaches to burials;
          south Scandinavian and Central European archaeology; social analysis of
          South Scandinavian cemeteries; a survey of the Sintana de Mures/Chernyakhovo
          culture; social analysis of Gothic cemeteries; survey of Anglo-Saxon
          scholarship; analysis of Anglo-Saxon graves, with special reference to Spong
          Hill; and conclusion.
          *Proceedings of the Seminar for Arabian Studies* (ISSN 0308-8421)
          Gordon House, 276 Banbury Road, Oxford OX2 7ED, England
          tel/fax +44 (0) 1865 311914 e-mail: bar@...
          +
          *Heather, Peter*,
          *Goths in the Fourth Century*. Translated by Matthews John. Distributed for
          Liverpool University Press. 224 p. 1991 Series: (LUP-TTH) Liverpool
          University Press - Translated Texts for Historians
          http://www.press.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/hfs.cgi/00/164381.ctl
          =
          Heather, Peter J., and John F. Matthews. *The *Sintana de Mures*-Cernjachov
          Culture.
          In their *The Goths in the Fourth Century*. Liverpool University Press,
          1991. 51-101. D 137 G8. *Culture associated with the spread of Gothic power
          in the period before Hunnic nomads [...] later third and fourth century A.D.
          + (54). *Settlements tend to be found along main river valleys and secondary
          valleys leading off from them+ (56).
          +
          *Шишкин Р.Г.
          *Zur Siedlungsarchaologie der Cernjachov-Kultur // Die *Sintana de
          Mures*-Cernjachov-Kultur.
          Akten des Internationalen Kolloquiums in Caput vom 20. Bis 24 Oktober 1995.-
          Bonn.- 1999.- S.83-90.

          2007/3/20, Michael Erwin <merwin@...>:

          > Can anyone recommend good sources identifying and locating specific
          > Chernyakhov/Sintana-de-Mures settlements, their sizes, their unusual
          > features, etc.?
          >
          > Thanks.

        • Michael Erwin
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 20, 2007
            Thanks, but the book doesn't seem to be available around here - I'm
            living in the US and the nearest decent collection's at the Library
            of Congress and doesn't include Petrescu's book. 6 others by a Florin
            Petrescu, but nothing relating to C/SdM.

            The map doesn't help. I'm trying to find out about specific
            settlements and their sizes.

            On Mar 20, 2007, at 4:53 AM, Alec Niculescu wrote:

            > The map looks impressive indeed but, at least for
            > Romania, is wrong. The Cernjachov cemeteries and
            > settlements are to be found in the eastern part,
            > namely in Moldavia and Walachia, not in Oltenia, not
            > in Banat and not in the western and northern parts of
            > Transylvania.
            >
            > A repertoire with the Cernjachov finds in Romania:
            > Florin Petrescu, Repertoriul monumentelor de tip
            > Cerneahov-Sântana de Mures de pe teritoriul României.
            > Bucharest: Ars Docendi (2001). Here 158 settlements
            > are listed but few have been excavated to a greater
            > extent (Iasi-Nicolina, Birlad-Valea Seaca etc.)
            >
            > Alec

          • Alec Niculescu
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 21, 2007
              A recent publication: Vornic V.
              Asezaria si necropola de tip Santana de
              Mures-Cernjiachov de la Budesti.
              The Santana de Mures-Cernjachov-Type Settlement and
              Necropolis from Budesti
              Chisinau: Pontos , 2006. 472 p. Hard. ISBN
              9789975722186. In Romanian

              A good bibliographic data base, probably the best for
              the Cernjakhov culture is Dyabola, which contains the
              references to the holdings of several libraries
              affiliated to the German Archaeological Institute,
              including articles. Choose the RGK library. The access
              is made by subscription but you can ask for a password
              which will be usable only for three days. You can find
              there the literature (mostly in Russian, Ukrainian and
              Romanian) you need for Cernjakhov settlements, most of
              it published in journals to which The Library of
              Congress and other American libraries have
              subscriptions.

              Alec

              --- Michael Erwin <merwin@...> wrote:

              > Thanks, but the book doesn't seem to be available
              > around here - I'm
              > living in the US and the nearest decent collection's
              > at the Library
              > of Congress and doesn't include Petrescu's book. 6
              > others by a Florin
              > Petrescu, but nothing relating to C/SdM.
              >
              > The map doesn't help. I'm trying to find out about
              > specific
              > settlements and their sizes.
              >
              > On Mar 20, 2007, at 4:53 AM, Alec Niculescu wrote:
              >
              > > The map looks impressive indeed but, at least for
              > > Romania, is wrong. The Cernjachov cemeteries and
              > > settlements are to be found in the eastern part,
              > > namely in Moldavia and Walachia, not in Oltenia,
              > not
              > > in Banat and not in the western and northern parts
              > of
              > > Transylvania.
              > >
              > > A repertoire with the Cernjachov finds in Romania:
              > > Florin Petrescu, Repertoriul monumentelor de tip
              > > Cerneahov-Sântana de Mures de pe teritoriul
              > României.
              > > Bucharest: Ars Docendi (2001). Here 158
              > settlements
              > > are listed but few have been excavated to a
              > greater
              > > extent (Iasi-Nicolina, Birlad-Valea Seaca etc.)
              > >
              > > Alec

              > removed]

              Don't pick lemons.
              See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
              http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html
            • Michael Erwin
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 24, 2007
                Thanks. I've checked the site and found much of what I'm looking for
                (and much unlooked-for).