Chernyakhov Settlements?

  • Michael Erwin
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 20, 2007
      Can anyone recommend good sources identifying and locating specific
      Chernyakhov/Sintana-de-Mures settlements, their sizes, their unusual
      features, etc.?

      Thanks.
    • Егоров Владимир
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 20, 2007
        Unfortunately, none comprehensive references, but this map looks very impressive:

        http://gumilevica.kulichki.net/maps/heu108.html

        Vladimir

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 20, 2007
          The map looks impressive indeed but, at least for
          Romania, is wrong. The Cernjachov cemeteries and
          settlements are to be found in the eastern part,
          namely in Moldavia and Walachia, not in Oltenia, not
          in Banat and not in the western and northern parts of
          Transylvania.

          A repertoire with the Cernjachov finds in Romania:
          Florin Petrescu, Repertoriul monumentelor de tip
          Cerneahov-Sântana de Mures de pe teritoriul României.
          Bucharest: Ars Docendi (2001). Here 158 settlements
          are listed but few have been excavated to a greater
          extent (Iasi-Nicolina, Birlad-Valea Seaca etc.)

          Alec

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 20, 2007
            Well, there is something:

            and Attribution pt 1
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Heathenhistory/message/1807 GFC-SMC:
            Settlements- Building Types
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Heathenhistory/message/1816 GFC-SMC: Ethnic
            Identities pt 1
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Heathenhistory/message/1817 GFC-SMC: Ethnic
            Identities pt 2

            *Interpretations of the Eurasian Iron Age*
            **
            http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:0Zz8tUNL-LAJ:www.csen.org/BAR%2520Book/05%2520Part%25204%2520(1.0).%2520Iron.Int.pdf+Sintana-de-Mures+%C4%8Cernjachov&hl=ru&ct=clnk&cd=27&gl=ua
            (http://www.csen.org/BAR%20Book/05%20Part%204%20(1.0).%20Iron.Int.pdf)

            *The battle of Adrianople and the sack of
            Rome*<http://bss.sfsu.edu/mwilliams/hist325/collins_47-60.pdf>
            http://bss.sfsu.edu/mwilliams/hist325/collins_47-60.pdf

            In polish :
            http://www.historycy.org/index.php?showtopic=21153&view=findpost&p=243301
            And in russian, if you read:
            http://stratum.ant.md/4_00/articles/Sciuk_shar/sciuk_shar01.htm
            http://stratum.ant.md/4_00/articles/Sciuk_shar/sciuk_shar02.htm

            And the swedish paper:
            www.arkeologi.uu.se/publications/GoR/4.pdf

            Book-links http://www.cpu.co.uk/Archaeopress/searchBar.asp:
            --------------------
            *Death Ritual and Germanic Social Structure (c. AD 200-600) *by Mads Ravn.
            ISBN 1841715328. Ł31.00. iii+151 pages; 93 figures, maps, plans, drawings,
            photographs; 14-page bibliography.

            The aim of this book is to understand the development of the social
            structure of Germanic society in selected parts of "Germania Libera" in
            Europe from around c. 200 AD to 600 AD. Social structure here is primarily
            defined as the way the Germanic tribes perceived and expressed themselves
            and their worldview through their texts, their person, gender, family,
            lineage, tribe, and internal social and religious relations in the material
            culture. This book incorporates a relatively large time span which
            highlights aspects of Germanic social structure not identified in
            traditional shorter studies dictated by arbitrarily defined periods and
            areas. The focus is especially on the way Migration period cemeteries are
            differently or similarly structured within Germanic society. The Migration
            period is defined widely as the time from c. AD 200-600. In England, the
            equivalent time period is called late Roman and Early Saxon. When the
            cemeteries are analysed, other find categories are discussed in broader
            terms, together with analogies from social anthropology and from written
            sources, in this case, contemporary and later sources. One of the aims of
            the work is to look more closely at the singularity of the archaeological
            material in south-eastern Europe as a means of assessing the relevance of
            the written sources in the same area about social structure in both Southern
            and Northern Europe, especially in Scandinavia. (It also involves exploring
            the controversial source of Beowulf). The nine chapters focus on Germanic
            social structure; theoretical and methodological approaches to burials;
            south Scandinavian and Central European archaeology; social analysis of
            South Scandinavian cemeteries; a survey of the Sintana de Mures/Chernyakhovo
            culture; social analysis of Gothic cemeteries; survey of Anglo-Saxon
            scholarship; analysis of Anglo-Saxon graves, with special reference to Spong
            Hill; and conclusion.
            *Proceedings of the Seminar for Arabian Studies* (ISSN 0308-8421)
            Gordon House, 276 Banbury Road, Oxford OX2 7ED, England
            tel/fax +44 (0) 1865 311914 e-mail: bar@...
            +
            *Heather, Peter*,
            *Goths in the Fourth Century*. Translated by Matthews John. Distributed for
            Liverpool University Press. 224 p. 1991 Series: (LUP-TTH) Liverpool
            University Press - Translated Texts for Historians
            http://www.press.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/hfs.cgi/00/164381.ctl
            =
            Heather, Peter J., and John F. Matthews. *The *Sintana de Mures*-Cernjachov
            Culture.
            In their *The Goths in the Fourth Century*. Liverpool University Press,
            1991. 51-101. D 137 G8. *Culture associated with the spread of Gothic power
            in the period before Hunnic nomads [...] later third and fourth century A.D.
            + (54). *Settlements tend to be found along main river valleys and secondary
            valleys leading off from them+ (56).
            +
            *Шишкин Р.Г.
            *Zur Siedlungsarchaologie der Cernjachov-Kultur // Die *Sintana de
            Mures*-Cernjachov-Kultur.
            Akten des Internationalen Kolloquiums in Caput vom 20. Bis 24 Oktober 1995.-
            Bonn.- 1999.- S.83-90.

            2007/3/20, Michael Erwin <merwin@...>:

            > Can anyone recommend good sources identifying and locating specific
            > Chernyakhov/Sintana-de-Mures settlements, their sizes, their unusual
            > features, etc.?
            >
            > Thanks.

          • Michael Erwin
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 20, 2007
              Thanks, but the book doesn't seem to be available around here - I'm
              living in the US and the nearest decent collection's at the Library
              of Congress and doesn't include Petrescu's book. 6 others by a Florin
              Petrescu, but nothing relating to C/SdM.

              The map doesn't help. I'm trying to find out about specific
              settlements and their sizes.

              On Mar 20, 2007, at 4:53 AM, Alec Niculescu wrote:

              > The map looks impressive indeed but, at least for
              > Romania, is wrong. The Cernjachov cemeteries and
              > settlements are to be found in the eastern part,
              > namely in Moldavia and Walachia, not in Oltenia, not
              > in Banat and not in the western and northern parts of
              > Transylvania.
              >
              > A repertoire with the Cernjachov finds in Romania:
              > Florin Petrescu, Repertoriul monumentelor de tip
              > Cerneahov-Sântana de Mures de pe teritoriul României.
              > Bucharest: Ars Docendi (2001). Here 158 settlements
              > are listed but few have been excavated to a greater
              > extent (Iasi-Nicolina, Birlad-Valea Seaca etc.)
              >
              > Alec

            • Alec Niculescu
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 21, 2007
                A recent publication: Vornic V.
                Asezaria si necropola de tip Santana de
                Mures-Cernjiachov de la Budesti.
                The Santana de Mures-Cernjachov-Type Settlement and
                Necropolis from Budesti
                Chisinau: Pontos , 2006. 472 p. Hard. ISBN
                9789975722186. In Romanian

                A good bibliographic data base, probably the best for
                the Cernjakhov culture is Dyabola, which contains the
                references to the holdings of several libraries
                affiliated to the German Archaeological Institute,
                including articles. Choose the RGK library. The access
                is made by subscription but you can ask for a password
                which will be usable only for three days. You can find
                there the literature (mostly in Russian, Ukrainian and
                Romanian) you need for Cernjakhov settlements, most of
                it published in journals to which The Library of
                Congress and other American libraries have
                subscriptions.

                Alec

                --- Michael Erwin <merwin@...> wrote:

                > Thanks, but the book doesn't seem to be available
                > around here - I'm
                > living in the US and the nearest decent collection's
                > at the Library
                > of Congress and doesn't include Petrescu's book. 6
                > others by a Florin
                > Petrescu, but nothing relating to C/SdM.
                >
                > The map doesn't help. I'm trying to find out about
                > specific
                > settlements and their sizes.
                >
                > On Mar 20, 2007, at 4:53 AM, Alec Niculescu wrote:
                >
                > > The map looks impressive indeed but, at least for
                > > Romania, is wrong. The Cernjachov cemeteries and
                > > settlements are to be found in the eastern part,
                > > namely in Moldavia and Walachia, not in Oltenia,
                > not
                > > in Banat and not in the western and northern parts
                > of
                > > Transylvania.
                > >
                > > A repertoire with the Cernjachov finds in Romania:
                > > Florin Petrescu, Repertoriul monumentelor de tip
                > > Cerneahov-Sântana de Mures de pe teritoriul
                > României.
                > > Bucharest: Ars Docendi (2001). Here 158
                > settlements
                > > are listed but few have been excavated to a
                > greater
                > > extent (Iasi-Nicolina, Birlad-Valea Seaca etc.)
                > >
                > > Alec

                > removed]

                Don't pick lemons.
                See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
                http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html
              • Michael Erwin
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 24, 2007
                  Thanks. I've checked the site and found much of what I'm looking for
                  (and much unlooked-for).