Re: Revelation (Evidence for the rest of the Gothic Bible)

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 21, 2007
      Still no solid answer to your original question, I'm afraid, but
      regarding the psalms, there is also a marginal note to Eph 4:8 in
      Codex Amrosianus A: 'psalmo'. And to I Cor 14:21, there is a marginal
      note 'Esaias'. According to Friedrichsen, these refer to Psalm 67:18
      and Isiah 28:11 respectively (Friedrichsen: The Gothic Version of the
      Epistles 1939, p. 67). Of course, these don't necessarily imply a
      Gothic translation, but show at the very least an interest in, and
      awareness of, these books among the Goths. In support of his argument
      that the whole Bible was translated, he suggests that Nehemiah, being
      a relatively unimportant book of the Old Testament, is unlikely to
      have been of high priority for translators; probably more urgent
      sections had already been completed, such as Acts, Psalms, etc.
      (Friedrichsen 1939, p. 158). He points to echoes of Hebrews,
      Leviticus or Numbers, and to the Acts of the Apostles in the
      Skeireins. He mentions the evidence for Book 5 of Genesis in the
      Vienna-Salzburg Codex, adding that "both the Laws and the Gospels are
      referred to in the Brixian Preface," and (more tenuously), he mentions
      Procopius's report that the Vandal King Gelimer repeated "Vanity of
      vanities, all is vanity," when brought as a captive to Constantinople
      (AD 534), "but whether the wretched king murmured these words in
      Vandalic or Latin, we are not told" (Friedrichsen 1939, p. 258).