Fwd: Eine Kleine Gotenmusik

  • Arthur Jones
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 14, 2007
      Jah aftra hails.

      I missent the url. It should, I think, be

      http://www.lowlands-l.net/gallery/jones

      I hope that gets you there. If not, somebody please tell me how to send this link correctly.
      Arthur

      Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 21:14:22 -0800 (PST)
      From: Arthur Jones <arthurobin2002@...>
      Subject: Eine Kleine Gotenmusik
      To: gothic-l@yahoogroups.com

      Hails alla,

      In a moment of treacly ineptitude, I wrote a poem about the Marcomannic War, more specifically about a Gothic (Wielbark) mother's grief at the loss of her three sons. You can find it, inter alia, at the following:

      http://www.lowlands-l.net/gallery/jones

      click under the photo on "Mother Inguna's Anguish".

      Criticisms appreciated.

      Arthur

      Arthur.jones@...

    • Ingemar Nordgren
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 15, 2007
        Dear Arthur!

        As allways your poetry and sense of historical accuracy go hand in
        hand. I am impressed! Mozart könnte es nicht besser gemacht. Er konnte
        Musik komponieren aber von Poesie und Geschichte hat er nichts gewusst.

        Best
        Ingemar
      • ualarauans
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 15, 2007
          Hailai, Garazdans!

          Am I the only one who gets ERROR 404 when trying to follow that
          link? Wai mis armamma!! I was so much looking forward to hear some
          more of Arthur's excellent Gothic verses...

          schwer betrübt,
          Ualarauans

          --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, Arthur Jones <arthurobin2002@...>
          wrote:

          > Jah aftra hails.
          >
          > I missent the url. It should, I think, be
          >
          > http://www.lowlands-l.net/gallery/jones
          >
          > I hope that gets you there. If not, somebody please tell me how
          to send > this
          > link correctly.
          > Arthur
          >
          > Arthur Jones <arthurobin2002@...> wrote:
          > Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 21:14:22 -0800 (PST)
          > From: Arthur Jones <arthurobin2002@...>
          > Subject: Eine Kleine Gotenmusik
          > To: gothic-l@yahoogroups.com
          >
          > Hails alla,
          >
          > In a moment of treacly ineptitude, I wrote a poem about the
          Marcomannic > War,
          > more specifically about a Gothic (Wielbark) mother's grief at the
          loss of her
          > three sons. You can find it, inter alia, at the following:
          >

          > http://www.lowlands-l.net/gallery/jones
          >

          > click under the photo on "Mother Inguna's Anguish".
          >
          > Criticisms appreciated.
          >
          > Arthur
          >
          > Arthur.jones@...
        • Arthur Jones
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 15, 2007
            Hailags gibandans, im ik
            frijands af "Garazdans", jah

            Yes, I also get ERROR 404, but that is the fault of the webmaster. Clearly a Langobard.
            However, what I get when I go there is also a left-hand column that, at the very bottom, features the word

            "GALLERY."

            If you click thereupon, you should get a great, dismal and melancholic page in which my name, Arthur Jones, is listed. Click it.

            That should place you in confrontation with an ugly face (mine), and under it, two listings:
            1. Ingunans Aitheins Aglo; and
            2. Unfinished trilogy: about 2/3 full, just as my average sanity.

            The Gothic poem is actually a song: It vibrates to bodhran 6/8 rhythm, A minor.

            wrote:

            > Jah aftra hails.
            >
            > I missent the url. It should, I think, be
            >
            > http://www.lowlands-l.net/gallery/jones
            >
            > I hope that gets you there. If not, somebody please tell me how
            to send > this
            > link correctly.
            > Arthur
            >
            > Arthur Jones <arthurobin2002@...> wrote:
            > Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 21:14:22 -0800 (PST)
            > From: Arthur Jones <arthurobin2002@...>
            > Subject: Eine Kleine Gotenmusik
            > To: gothic-l@yahoogroups.com
            >
            > Hails alla,
            >
            > In a moment of treacly ineptitude, I wrote a poem about the
            Marcomannic > War,
            > more specifically about a Gothic (Wielbark) mother's grief at the
            loss of her
            > three sons. You can find it, inter alia, at the following:
            >

            > http://www.lowlands-l.net/gallery/jones
            >

            > click under the photo on "Mother Inguna's Anguish".
            >
            > Criticisms appreciated.
            >
            > Arthur
            >
            > Arthur.jones@...

          • Michael Erwin
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 16, 2007
              I suppose the Gothic thread-name would be "Ains leitils *Gutsaggws"

              or "Ains smals Gutisks saggws"

              or a combination thereof?

              (found the lyrics.)
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 19, 2007
                First, congratulations Arthur on your latest compositions! Waila
                waurhteis! Some powerful and poignant poetry there.

                --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, Michael Erwin <merwin@...> wrote:

                > I suppose the Gothic thread-name would be "Ains leitils *Gutsaggws"
                >
                > or "Ains smals Gutisks saggws"
                >
                > or a combination thereof?

                Or maybe 'leitil Gutane saggwis' (compare I Cor 5:6, I Tim 5:23), with
                a partitive genitive. Like the other early Germanic languages, Gothic
                mostly does without an indefinite article in the singular...

                leitil beistis
                "a little yeast"

                weinis leitil brukjais
                "use a little wine"

                jah was jainar manna gaþaursana habands handu.
                "and there was yonder a man having a withered hand"

                unte manna hardus is
                "for thou art a hard man"

                > GBRP / Naihaimias & James 3:6 [was just] Re: James 3:6
                >
                > Hails!
                >
                > Are there any good reasons to believe that a Gothic version of the
                Revelation once existed?

                > Ualarauans

                I'm not aware of any specific evidence one way or the other about
                Revelation. There are hints in the Vienna-Salzburg Codex that a
                translation of Genesis existed, and there are a couple of clues to
                suggest that there was a Gothic psalter. John Chrysostomus mentions
                in a homily that psalms were sung in Constantinople in Greek, Syrian,
                Latin and Barbarian language; according to Elfriede Stutz, "es ist
                kaum zu bezweifeln, dass mit THi BARBARWN FWNHi die got. Sprache
                gemeint ist" (Gotische Literaturdenkmäler 1966, p. 30). Then there is
                the case of the two Goths who wrote to Jerome for his advice regarding
                translating the psalms, although Stutz comments that it isn't clear
                whether they had in mind translation into Gothic specifically.

                LN
              • thiudans
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 19, 2007
                  Little song I think should not use a partitive genitive. "Little
                  music" might, because it suggests a part of a larger collective whole,
                  like little yeast etc., in the same way we say in English "a little
                  (bit of)..." One little song, emphasizing the number via 'ain-' might
                  act as a deprecative.

                  -Th.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 19, 2007
                    Good points, Thiudans. Thinks: "One small Gothic song for a man, one
                    giant Gothic leap for mankind." Regarding the word order, there would
                    probably be some freedom. There are a few instances of numbers placed
                    before the noun they modify in the Bible, where the two words
                    correspond to a single word of Greek. But then there is the rule that
                    numerals 4-19 are declined for dative and genitive only when they
                    occur after the noun, which suggests the both orders were possible in
                    theory in native Gothic. Perhaps, on that basis, we can guess that
                    the order numeral first was least emphatic. Other strong adjective
                    and genitive modifiers tend to follow the noun they modify in those
                    very few instances in the Bible where Greek influence on word order
                    can be discounted (but weak adjectives tend to come first). The
                    Skeireins shows more freedom in this respect, but with a tendency to
                    place partitive genitives after. In the Bible, in those (independent)
                    instances where the genitive is placed before the noun or adjective it
                    modifies, the two words can be seen as being in a closer relationship
                    that otherwise, i.e. having the nature of a compound, compare: witodis
                    laus : witoda-laus (I Cor 9:21), both = ANOMOS "without law."
                    According to Zoega's Old Icelandic Dictionary, "if put after the noun,
                    [Old Icelandic] 'einn' generally denotes 'only', 'but'". I don't know
                    if there's any evidence one way or the other as to whether Gothic had
                    such a tendency too. So, apologies to Michael for my misguided
                    criticism! That leaves us with possibilities such as:

                    (ains)
                    ........gutane (cf. Pietroassa inscription)
                    ........gut- (cf. Calendar)
                    .................saggws
                    ...........................smals
                    ...........................leitils

                    LN

                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 21, 2007
                      Still no solid answer to your original question, I'm afraid, but
                      regarding the psalms, there is also a marginal note to Eph 4:8 in
                      Codex Amrosianus A: 'psalmo'. And to I Cor 14:21, there is a marginal
                      note 'Esaias'. According to Friedrichsen, these refer to Psalm 67:18
                      and Isiah 28:11 respectively (Friedrichsen: The Gothic Version of the
                      Epistles 1939, p. 67). Of course, these don't necessarily imply a
                      Gothic translation, but show at the very least an interest in, and
                      awareness of, these books among the Goths. In support of his argument
                      that the whole Bible was translated, he suggests that Nehemiah, being
                      a relatively unimportant book of the Old Testament, is unlikely to
                      have been of high priority for translators; probably more urgent
                      sections had already been completed, such as Acts, Psalms, etc.
                      (Friedrichsen 1939, p. 158). He points to echoes of Hebrews,
                      Leviticus or Numbers, and to the Acts of the Apostles in the
                      Skeireins. He mentions the evidence for Book 5 of Genesis in the
                      Vienna-Salzburg Codex, adding that "both the Laws and the Gospels are
                      referred to in the Brixian Preface," and (more tenuously), he mentions
                      Procopius's report that the Vandal King Gelimer repeated "Vanity of
                      vanities, all is vanity," when brought as a captive to Constantinople
                      (AD 534), "but whether the wretched king murmured these words in
                      Vandalic or Latin, we are not told" (Friedrichsen 1939, p. 258).