Re: [gothic-l] Some thoughts on the Danube Crossing of 376

  • OSCAR HERRERA
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 16, 2007
      niu was bulgara rodidandam gutiska ainaha taihunda jeram thau swe.....wasnt bulgaria speaking gothic like a hundred years ago or so...oscar

      Michael Erwin <merwin@...> wrote: On Jan 16, 2007, at 4:04 PM, Tore Gannholm wrote:
      > Hi!
      > The following link could also be of interest
      >
      > http://www.stavgard.com/romaniron/goterna_/default.htm
      >
      > Tore
      Thanks. I'm having some trouble with the page format; it's not really
      compatible with my current browser, or either of my operating
      systems. I can't save the individual pages (#1, #2, etc.) to my
      machine. I can't copy text to my machine. I can't print pages to my
      machine. I can use snapshots but that's very space-intensive. The
      phone line keeps going down so reading things online is rarely an
      option.

    • Tore Gannholm
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 17, 2007
        Michael,
        It is my research library and not possible to download.
        However I can make pdf of the docs you are interested in.
        Please let me know.

        Tore

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 17, 2007
          --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, OSCAR HERRERA <duke.co@...> wrote:

          > niu was bulgara rodidandam gutiska ainaha taihunda jeram thau
          swe.....wasnt bulgaria speaking gothic like a hundred years ago or
          so...oscar

          Not a hundred (100) years ago, but (approx.) a thousand (1000).

          Francisc
        • Michael Erwin
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 17, 2007
            Okay, thanks. None of them quite seem to cover what I'm looking for.

            On Jan 17, 2007, at 5:48 AM, Tore Gannholm wrote:

            > Michael,
            > It is my research library and not possible to download.
            > However I can make pdf of the docs you are interested in.
            > Please let me know.
            >
            > Tore
            >
            > On Jan 16, 2007, at 11:53 PM, Michael Erwin wrote:
            >
            > > On Jan 16, 2007, at 4:04 PM, Tore Gannholm wrote:
            > > > Hi!
            > > > The following link could also be of interest
            > > >
            > > > http://www.stavgard.com/romaniron/goterna_/default.htm
            > > >
            > > > Tore
            > > Thanks. I'm having some trouble with the page format; it's not
            > really
            > > compatible with my current browser, or either of my operating
            > > systems. I can't save the individual pages (#1, #2, etc.) to my
            > > machine. I can't copy text to my machine. I can't print pages to my
            > > machine. I can use snapshots but that's very space-intensive. The
            > > phone line keeps going down so reading things online is rarely an
            > > option.

          • Michael Erwin
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 17, 2007
              Conrad, in "Archaeological Survey on the Lower Danube: Results and
              Perspectives," claims that:

              "A profound crisis was caused by the Gothic wars in the second half
              of the fourth century and the invasions of the Huns in the beginning
              of the 5th c. The extent and the intensity of settlement declined and
              later on all settlements in the remote areas of the frontier were
              apparently abandoned. Similar results were achieved by the English-
              Bulgarian expedition in the hinterland of Nicopolis ad Istrum,
              roughly about 60 km directly south of the Danube. The remaining
              people settled in or nearby the fortifications; and new fortresses
              were erected (cf. in the area of our research the fortresses of
              Svishtov/Theodoroupolis, Polsko Kosovo, Koprivec). A higher density
              of mountain fortresses can be found in the northern foreland of the
              Balkan range, a suitable retreat area in that anxious period." -
              Conrad, p. 8