Re: Want your suggestions

  • Fredrik
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 18, 2006
      > The "light of glory" is good! Moreover that AFAIK wulthus is used
      > mostly in the religious sense in the Gothic Bible. Could it also be
      > *wulthuwaips M.-i (?) or *wulthuwipja F.-jo "corona gloriae" if
      > specifically referring to the disc of light surrounding heads of
      > saints, so that the both elements alliterate; or, descriptively,
      > liuhadeina wipja as a more "technical" term (cf. thaurneina wipja
      > Mc. 15:17)? When you being a Gothic neophyte trying to paint some
      > images on a wall in a new-erected/restored church in Gothia Minor,
      > you may be told by your tutor (probably a Byzantine captive):
      > gasatei jah jainamma wipja tho liuhadein, unte weiha ist. But when
      > on a sermon they would probably say: insaihvaith du wulthuwipjom
      > weihane gudis, thozei skeinand in andwairthja manne...

      It could be good to have a special word if we mean the disc as you
      say. What I ment was more like a light around a person, maybe smth
      like the new age people believes in.

      > > Here's what I need you to help me with:
      > >
      > > 1) Politics, political, politician.
      > Nice occasion to start thinking what the politics actually is :)
      > a) science or art of governing a state. If "state" be reiki (it
      > can imply "state power" I guess), then it could be a compound with
      > reiki- or a couple of words. I'd suggest *reikileisei F.-n as an
      > abstract noun (lit. "knowledge of rule", like
      lubjaleisei "knowledge
      > of herbs" > "witchcraft"). "Political" being then *reikileis,
      > and "politician" – substantivized *reikileis, sa *reikileisa (just
      > like lubjaleisai pl. translating Greek noun GOHTES in 2. Tim 3:13).
      > b) political affairs, i.e. debates, elections etc – no idea at the
      > moment.
      > c) political principles - muneis (pl.) bi *reikinassu? *reikinassus
      > M.-u would probably come close to what we mean with "state policy",
      > i.e. "way of those at power to act in internal or external
      > for instance, sa innuma reikinassus N-landis ist manamildeis. The
      > verb reikinon attested as "to rule over smb./smth" could probably
      > used for "to execute political power". "Politician" as "statesman" –

      > maybe *reikinonds M.-nd or something like?

      > *silbaraginonds is good in that meaning. If we describe a country
      > dependent on another country, could we invent smth like
      > *skattagibands or *gildagibands, lit. "paying money", "tributary"
      > (cf ON skattkonungr, a king dependent on another king and paying
      > tribute (skattr)). I know "tributary" didn't necessarily connote a
      > political dependence as we understand it today, but the word could
      > acquire more abstract semantics with time. For instance, both the
      > Eastern and the Western Empires were *skattagibandona to Attila,
      > they weren't in fact politically dependent on the Hunnish tribal
      > union, but only forced to pay them. But for nowadays, we could
      > probably say: Fawaim menothum uslithanaim warth Swartafairguni
      > unskattagibando "a couple of months ago Montenegro became an
      > independent state".
      > To emphasize that a country has liberated itself of a dependence
      > which was very hard to bear, one could probably use *jukalaus as
      > opposed to *ufjukeis -ja "subjugated" (after ufaitheis)

      Your suggestions are good if we talk about an independent state (as I
      did). But if we want words for the verb to depend.
      E.g. in mathematics y depends on x in a function.

      > > 3) Relation, (german verhältniss).
      > > E.g. In the sentence: They have destroyed all the patriarchal and
      > > idyllic relations.
      > *gaha:hi N.-ja? Though it's more to German Zusammenhang (cf. the
      > attested adverb gahahjo which Streitberg translates as "im
      > Zusammenhang". Or maybe one could use gawiss
      > F.-i "Verbindung", "Band" (ibidem) in an abstract sense.
      > "Gaterun allos audagos gawissins thozei thai airizans anafulhun".

      I like this to, so I'm gonna use it.
      Maybe we don't need a special word for 'idyll' and 'idyllic' but
      instead use a word with similar meaning as you did.
      I like to be very correct when translating so I tried to invent words
      for idyll and patriarchat, and the adjectives to them.
      Idyll = frithuhlasei (cf. icel. friðsæll)
      patriarchate = fadruwaldufni.

      > > 5) Admire.
      > > E.g. In the sentence: The two towers, which they so much admire.
      > sildaleikjan? Jaina twa kelikna ana thaimei (bi thoei, [in] thize)
      > sildaleikjand swa abraba

      I thought of this word but wasnt sure. But now I am.

      > > 6) Complement, (german ergänzung)
      > *biauk N.-a (bi-aukan "to add")?
      > > 7) Instrument, (not necessarly a musical instrument).
      > > Here I mean e.g. a instrument of production.
      > Maybe, *saru N.-wa, pl. sarwa, attested as "weapons", but cf. OE
      > searo "device", "design", "arms", "equipment".
      Couldn't this be misstaken for weapon gear in a sentence?
      Are your sure it's a wa-stem? Could be like sarw and a-st.??