Re: Gepidic *skima?

  • ualarauans
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 5, 2006
      At http://www.transylvania.info/Dictionary/dictionary.php I found
      Rom. stima (with an "arc" over -a-) translated
      as "awe", "dread", "fear". But as it stands also
      for "appreciation", "honor", "respect" et sim, I'd rather think it
      comes from late Latin estimare. Maybe this stima < Gep. *skima was
      somebody's wild guess?
      At http://dictionare.edu.ro/search.php?cuv=stima&source= they say
      ªTÍMÃ1, ºtime, s.f. Personaj din mitologia popularã, imaginat ca o
      femeie care protejeazã apele, pãdurile, comorile etc. - Din ngr.
      shíma.
      and
      ªTÍM//Ã2 ~e f. (în mitologia popularã) Fiinþã imaginarã cu chip de
      femeie, înzestratã cu forþe supranaturale, care protejeazã apele,
      munþii, pãdurile etc. /Orig. nec.
      where I can notice words "popular mythology", "imaginary", "woman
      protecting smth" (mountains?), "supernatural force(s)"... and that
      the origin is not clear, right?
      Spaima seems less appropriate phonetically, though I've got only a
      slight idea about historical development of Romanian sounds.

      Multumesc frumos / Thagk fairhaitands
      Ualarauans

      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "dciurchea" <dciurchea@...> wrote:

      Perhaps Romanian "spaima" would help: it might mean fear; mainly
      after having an intense surprise; the discharge of adrenalin after
      a surprise would be a good description of the term; it is quite
      common, somewhat similar to "sperietura".

      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "ualarauans" ualarauans@... wrote:

      Walhahrabns allans Walhakunnandans hailans wisan weneith!

      Wiljau fraihnan izwis, gamathljans liubans, jau mahteig izwis
      thugkjai, us sumamma (jath-thanuh hvileikamma?) waurde razdos
      austrawalhiskaizos thizos nu bruhtons thata gibidisko waurd *skima
      aftragasatjan? Waurd jainata skulda, thande insahtim thaimei
      gamotida galaubjau, "skaduleikan", "frisaht unhulthons" jah
      silban "Drakilan thana blothdrugkjan" ustaiknjan. Jabai nu ita
      mith "niuja-bigitanaim" waurdam rahnjaima, hvaiwa bi biuhtja kreka-
      gutiskamma anameljaidau - *skima aiththau *skeima aiththau jan-nauh
      hve? Ith taujandans swa ni ufarmunnoma ei Wulfila sa swera
      aipiskaupus jah Gutthiudos frumists daupjands (gawairthi mith imma)
      thizuh waurdis ("skeimam") in aiwaggeljon thairh Iohannen (.ih.:.g.)
      swe mith "haizam" samanamnjandins bruhta.

      Hi!

      I've got a question to the experts in Romanian here. Somewhere I saw
      a reconstructed Gepidic *skima, based on an East-Germanic loanword
      into Romanian and meaning smth like "ghost", "specter" or similar
      (it was translated into German as "Schattengestalt", as far as I
      remember). Is it Rom. stima (if it's [stsima], with a "comma" under
      the -t- < palatalized [k]), mentioned in #8951 by Andrei Stirbu?
      What does it mean in today's Romanian, I wonder? And what could its
      probable reconstruction in written Gothic be like? - *skima M./F. or
      *skeima M./F., the latter being attested in Wulfila's translation
      (Dat. Pl. skeimam in Joh. 18:3) for "lantern" or "torch", synonymous
      with haizam (ibidem)?