Re: Search for Gothic DNA: Feasibility

  • sturlus
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 25, 2006
      Dear Arthur
      I have done some thinking on the royal families and inter-marriages,
      also in England. Could it be possible to find DNA back to Gothic
      princesses in this way? Well, it remains to be seen, but it sure is
      an interesting thought, and a tempting one as well.

      Hopefully, we might get closer to finding out if pockets of
      Gothic "bloodlines" exists in this project. I will certainly give it
      a shot. On our first expedition now in 2006, to the Canary Islands
      and the search for Guanches, we are trimming our new expedition team
      in preparations for Russia and the Ukraine in August. Hopefully, we
      can establish a working team able to easily retrieve DNA to try out
      theories in this way. I'll keep you posted!

      Thanks for interesting thoughts!

      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, Arthur Jones <arthurobin2002@...>
      > from: Arthur A. Jones arthur.jones@...
      > OSCAR HERRERA melida:
      > "...I doubt that barbaric tribes had their royal families..."
      > First, let's dismiss the word "barbaric" from our
      considerations, please.
      > If you mean pre-Christian Gothic peoples, the evidence is ample
      (see Peter Heather, "The Goths", Thomas C. Burns, "The Ostrogoths",
      our own Ingemar Nordgren, "Well Spring of theGoths", Herwig
      Wolfram, "History of the Goths", and others including
      Gibbon's "Decline and Fall of theRoman Empire", Jordanes "Getica",
      > The main aristocratic warrior family that emerged as the leading
      Greuthung royal clan, later to be designated Ostrogoth, was the Amal
      or Amaling family. They produced Valamer, as well as Thiudareiks the
      > Visigoths followed the equally cherished and respected Balthi
      family (hasn't this basic ground been covered on this gothic-l list
      recently?), which, inter alia, produced Alareiks (Alaric), whose
      descendants established the Visigothic Kingdom in Spain. Those
      peoples had a clear idea of their provenance back to the first or
      second century b.c., at the very least.
      > Now: As to modern-day DNA, it will not be very difficult to
      trace large numbers of modern residents of Great Britain and former
      colonies back to descendants of the several Balthic (Visigothic)
      princesses who were married off to Anglo-Saxon nobles, Frankish
      lords and Northman/Norman princes before the 1066 ad invasion of
      William the Conqueror. There is, in fact, pretty reliable written
      record of all those marriages and family trees leading back to the
      Balthi family and to Visigothic Spain.
      > But the majority of their descendants are no longer royalty:
      First, because of laws of primogeniture, second and subsequent sons
      and daughter didn't inherit main titles or much of anything else,
      thus many struck out for the armies, early colonial companies, or
      other means of making a living. Hence, many emigrated to North
      America, the "disgruntled" children of landed aristocrats and
      royalty at all levels: marquis and marquesses, earls, barons, dukes,
      counts, etc.
      > It will be fascinating to see whether unique DNA markers shared
      by Balths, Amalings, and others, whether in Gotland, Northern
      Poland, around the Black Sea, through the Balkans, Northern Italy,
      Southern France and Northern Spain can reveal pockets of
      Gothic "bloodlines".