[gothic-l] Re: introductions

  • M. Edward Carver
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 27, 1998
      ULF!!! good to read that your on the list! I think you were one of the
      original persons Eric and I talked with about starting the list the last
      time. How are your studies going?

      --Matt
    • Ulf Wiman
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 28, 1998
        Matt:

        I would like to see, my own opinion, and maybe somewhat naive, an attempt to promote an interest in the Gothic language and to advance a language resuscitation based on the embers of Gothic. This does not involve any Wagnerian fantasy with racial overtones. By Gothic we don't mean a literary �horror' genre or an architecture style, but a language revival based on real Gothic. This could not entirely be the Wulfian Gothic of the fourth century, but a language using the existing structures of the language and utilizing examples of other language movements, e.g. Cornish, Ivrit (Hebrew), and Nynorsk (New Norse). This by its nature does not entail a "pure" Gothic of the fourth-century language, but a language capable of neologism and loan translations from Germanic languages, like contemporary German and Icelandic, e.g.

        Script: Gothic probably needs to employ the Latin script without any diacritical marks in order to make it comply with ANSI conventions.
        Pronunciation: The Germanic pronunciation of Icelandic could be an "ideal," not the standard, but rather a direction.
        Grammar: It retains as much as possible of the Wulfian grammar.
        Glossaries: Known Gothic words, Germanic loan translations.
        Syntax: Like modern Germanic languages.

        Ulfie (just a thought!)

        > at http://www.eGroups.com -- Free Web-based e-mail groups.

        -----
        See the original message at http://www.egroups.com/list/gothic-l/?start=8
      • Eric Craven
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 29, 1998
          Ulf Wiman wrote:

          > Matt:
          >
          > I would like to see, my own opinion, and maybe somewhat naive, an attempt to promote an interest in the Gothic language and to advance a language resuscitation based on the embers of Gothic. This does not involve any Wagnerian fantasy with racial overtones. By Gothic we don't mean a literary �horror' genre or an architecture style, but a language revival based on real Gothic. This could not entirely be the Wulfian Gothic of the fourth century, but a language using the existing structures of the language and utilizing examples of other language movements, e.g. Cornish, Ivrit (Hebrew), and Nynorsk (New Norse). This by its nature does not entail a "pure" Gothic of the fourth-century language, but a language capable of neologism and loan translations from Germanic languages, like contemporary German and Icelandic, e.g.
          >
          > Script: Gothic probably needs to employ the Latin script without any diacritical marks in order to make it comply with ANSI conventions.

          well, i dont like the idea of changing it all, fx [ai] (=short e) changing to something else...., but does anyone have any ideas what it would look like finally?

          > Pronunciation: The Germanic pronunciation of Icelandic could be an "deal," not the standard, but rather a direction.

          isnt the pronounciation more or less known? my book provides quite an exact guide to pronounciation (maybe its wrong, dunno..)

          > Grammar: It retains as much as possible of the Wulfian grammar.

          i`d say we keep all, or what would u abolish?

          > Glossaries: Known Gothic words, Germanic loan translations.

          loan words is a good idea

          > Syntax: Like modern Germanic languages.

          dont we have enough syntax in the known texts? we could stay with that, i`d prefer a gothic as close to the original as possible.
          btw anyone prepared to try to talk in gothic via irc/...?
          we could try to open a channel once more..

          eric

        • Engill
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 5, 2007
            --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Ulf Wiman" <Esperanto3@...> wrote:

            > Matt:
            >
            > I would like to see, my own opinion, and maybe somewhat naive, an
            attempt to promote an interest in the Gothic language and to advance
            a language resuscitation based on the embers of Gothic. This does
            not involve any Wagnerian fantasy with racial overtones. By Gothic
            we don't mean a literary `horror' genre or an architecture style, but
            a language revival based on real Gothic. This could not entirely be
            the Wulfian Gothic of the fourth century, but a language using the
            existing structures of the language and utilizing examples of other
            language movements, e.g. Cornish, Ivrit (Hebrew), and Nynorsk (New
            Norse). This by its nature does not entail a "pure" Gothic of the
            fourth-century language, but a language capable of neologism and loan
            translations from Germanic languages, like contemporary German and
            Icelandic, e.g.

            > Script: Gothic probably needs to employ the Latin script without
            any diacritical marks in order to make it comply with ANSI
            conventions.
            > Pronunciation: The Germanic pronunciation of Icelandic could be
            an "ideal," not the standard, but rather a direction.
            > Grammar: It retains as much as possible of the Wulfian grammar.
            > Glossaries: Known Gothic words, Germanic loan translations.
            > Syntax: Like modern Germanic languages.
            >
            > Ulfie (just a thought!)

            hails all members of the list

            I´m not a linguist but i´m very interested in having a gothic
            language I can use in my heathen practices. After reading thru the
            list I found the introductory course by David Salo. I´ll work on it
            and ask as many question I can. I would be very nice to be able to
            hold a ritual for my ancestors in their language or a new version
            based on it.

            Jah Frith ana sunya

            Aggilus