Gothic burials in Upper Don

  • ualarauans
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 19, 2006
      I don't know if you already have this info. If not, here's a brief
      summary of what I found at
      http://www.regions.ru/news/location01817/1989121/. The news was
      published 04.07.2006.

      << A Gothic Christ's burial from the 5th ct. found

      Ksizovo, Lipetsk region (Russia). On the 27th of June archaeologists
      excavated a grave of a 2 meter tall man, approx. 30-40 years old,
      dated to the 5th ct. AD and furnished in the traditions of the
      Christian Goths. The skeleton was posited with regard to points of
      horizon...

      Several days before another surprising find was made some 10 meters
      from the Goth's burial. A wooden box containing remains of a 15
      years old girl was excavated from 50 centimeters deep under the
      surface. The girl's body had the perinatal pose... The funeral rite
      is thought to be connected with the pagan fertility cult of early
      Slavs...

      Scientists do not exclude the option that a Hunnish Khanate existed
      here in the 5th ct... which united nomads of diverse ethnicities:
      Germanic, Visigothic (sic!), Slav... >>

      A similar report from the same archaeological site was made almost a
      year earlier (to find at http://www.rg.ru/2005/08/05/dospehi.html):

      << Not far from Ksizovo village archaeologists revealed arms of an
      ancient warrior – a spear, a battle belt and defensive plates. Most
      probably, the armor belonged to one of the Germanic tribe of the
      Goths which populated this territory in the 4th – 5th centuries
      AD... >>

      If the Gothic attribution of the finds is true, couldn't these Goths
      have been participants of Uinitharius' expeditions against the Antes
      (ca. 375 AD) or the descendants of those of them who stayed in the
      conquered country?

      Ualarauans
    • Andrei Stirbu
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 19, 2006
        I want to present you some images from 2002 archaeological campaign at the Polocin (Vaslui county) Cernyachov site in Romania:

        Images are from
        http://cimec.ro/Arheologie/cronicaCA2004/planse/147/index.html

        and are illustration for the text at
        http://cimec.ro/Arheologie/cronicaCA2004/cd/index.htm (only in Romanian).