female angel

  • ualarauans
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 13, 2006
      Hails Hvazuh Hirjandane!

      Bidja ei ragin mis gibaith in thammei nu sokja. Hvaiwa aggilu
      qinakundana haitan duginnith jainis dagis (jainaizos nahts?) than
      swaleika anaks izwis anmaqimith? Silba twa bi hvileikja thatainei
      hugjan gadaurstedjau: andizuh (1) ainfalthaba *aggilu qithau, soei
      thanuth-than swe u-waurda tho qinakundona uswandjaidau; aiththau (2)
      *aggilinja gaskapjau (soh afar "Saurinjai" niuja-waurhta ist). Tho
      spedizein mundonds tweiflja, ibai aufto jah _*aggiluni_ mahteiga
      wesi? Leitilai izai wisandein, an *aggiliko haihaiti? Jan-nauh,
      miththanei nehva rinnam, hvaiwa bi aina us kunja Wodanis qetheith:
      *gudi, *ansuni thau aljaleiko hva?

      I'd appreciate your suggestions of a Gothic word for a "female
      angel". I would think of two possibilities: simply *aggilus F. -u
      (declined like handus) or, with a feminine suffix, *aggilini F. -jo
      (like attested Saurini). Could the latter be *aggiluni as well
      (because of the u-stem)? A "little she-angel", could it be *aggiliko
      F. -on? And, since we are close, what could be Gothic for "goddess":
      *gudi F. -jo (cf. thius:thiwi et sim.), ansuni F. -jo (ON asynja F. -
      jon) or smth else?

      Thanks!

      Ualarauans
    • Ingemar Nordgren
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 13, 2006
        --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "ualarauans" <ualarauans@...> wrote:

        >nd, since we are close, what could be Gothic for "goddess":
        > *gudi F. -jo (cf. thius:thiwi et sim.), ansuni F. -jo (ON asynja F. -
        > jon) or smth else?
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Ualarauans

        Hi Ualarauans!

        As a non linguist I still dare to suggest 'guðja' but I have not the
        faintest idea of deklination or other stuff. (From ON 'gyðja')

        Best
        Ingemar
      • Ingemar Nordgren
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 13, 2006
          Hi again Ualarauans,

          I noticed I misread your 'goddess' for 'priestess'. Forget my suggestion!

          Best
          Ingemar

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 14, 2006
            Ne, ni ufarmunno ragina Iggwimeris! Þata naurþronjo auk waurd 'gyðja'
            jah du ansunjai brukiþ was jah du gudjin qinakundamma. In gutiskon
            þata wesi: gudjo.

            No, don't forget Ingemar's suggestion! The Old Norse word 'gyðja' was
            used both for a female divinity and for a female priest. In Gothic
            that would be: gudjo.

            --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Ingemar Nordgren" <ingemar@...> wrote:

            > Hi again Ualarauans,
            >
            > I noticed I misread your 'goddess' for 'priestess'. Forget my
            suggestion!

            > Best
            > Ingemar
            >

            > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Ingemar Nordgren" <ingemar@> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "ualarauans" <ualarauans@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > >nd, since we are close, what could be Gothic for "goddess":
            > > > *gudi F. -jo (cf. thius:thiwi et sim.), ansuni F. -jo (ON asynja
            F. -
            > > > jon) or smth else?
            > > >
            > > > Thanks!
            > > >
            > > > Ualarauans
            > >

            > > Hi Ualarauans!
            > >
            > > As a non linguist I still dare to suggest 'guðja' but I have not the
            > > faintest idea of deklination or other stuff. (From ON 'gyðja')
            > >
            > > Best
            > > Ingemar

          • ualarauans
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 14, 2006

              > Ne, ni ufarmunno ragina Iggwimeris! Þata naurþronjo auk
              waurd 'gyðja'
              > jah du ansunjai brukiþ was jah du gudjin qinakundamma. In gutiskon
              > þata wesi: gudjo.
              >
              > No, don't forget Ingemar's suggestion! The Old Norse word 'gyðja'
              was
              > used both for a female divinity and for a female priest. In Gothic
              > that would be: gudjo.
              >

              > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Ingemar Nordgren" <ingemar@>
              wrote:

              > > Hi again Ualarauans,
              > >
              > > I noticed I misread your 'goddess' for 'priestess'. Forget my
              > suggestion!
              > >
              > > Best
              > > Ingemar

              Gabaurjaba andnima nih ufarmunno waihtai ragine ainhvatharizuh
              igqara, Iggwimer jal'Llama-Nom, in thizei jah thagk fairhaita
              bajothum! Jabai nu at "gudjon" samafrathjam ei ni guth-blostrja suma
              thatainei bandwjai ak jah silbon tho blotanon ustaiknjai, swa sijai!
              Ith thanuh mith "ansunjai" hva taujaima: niu jah so skulda (jam-
              mahta) ist thamma samin haidau du **ansunjon inmaidjan?

              Thanks for your replies, Ingemar and Llama Nom! If we agree about
              *gudjo meaning both "priestess" and "goddess", then, to be
              consistent (as human languages are not always, I remember:),
              shouldn't we suggest *ansunjo instead of *ansuni after ON asynja?

              There's one more issue I need to clarify. Recently we all witnessed
              some our posts being delayed before putting on the list, up to
              thirty hours or more I guess. It is some technical problem, right? I
              mean some could have understood it as a sort of censorship...
              Several days ago I got a pm from one of our members who said that he
              was not willing to participate anymore because of "being censored".
              Well, I can think of a good deal of reasons to get censored myself,
              but it's definitely out of question in that person's case. Excuse me
              if this remark is not at home here.

              Ualarauans