Re: Visborg on Gutland and the Visi-Goths

  • akoddsson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 10, 2006
      Hails Tore.

      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, Tore Gannholm <tore@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > Vi is holy place where the gods were worshipped.
      >
      > Tore

      Indeed. However, the name is Visborg (contains -s-), not Viborg. The
      Old Norse word vé is neuter, compounds with its root (vébjörg in
      Denmark, for example) and occurs in Gutnish as wî/vî (as Gutnish
      does not lower the ê to î, as in all other Scandic languages, and in
      this respect matches Gothic). Gutnish wî would occur in the language
      of Wulfila's time as *wîh (written *weih), but would be neuter in
      contrast to the related weiha, masc. 'priest'(also occuring in Old
      Norse as véi, Gutnish *wîi). Now, if the element in Visborg were
      really *wîha, then we could generate a Gothic *weihabaurgs, but this
      would yield Gutnish *wîborg/vîborg after syncope instead of attested
      Visborg - thus, a more logical forerunner to Gutnish Wîsborg would
      be Gothic *wîsiborgs (written aka Wulfila *weisibaurgs), which would
      yield the correct form. Note that Gothic *weih would be an a-stem
      neuter, compounding with the same -a- that originally occured in the
      nominitive/accusitive singular (pre-Wulfilian-Gothic *wîha). I want
      to add here as an aside that the personal name vîsburr also occurs
      on a migration-era Swedish king (see Ynglingasaga), something which
      I forgot to mention in my original post (meaning something like
      famous/renowned son/offspring). If this is related, and I think it
      likely, then the name would occur in Wulfilia Gothic as *weisibaur,
      using the same element as *weisibaurgs (pronounced wîsiborgs), famed
      son and famed city, respectively. Now, as to whether or not assumed
      Gothic element *weis- really compounds with compositional -i- (as in
      English 'visigoth' or not, or is even an oroiginal i-stem, I cannot
      say at this time (lack of available evidence).

      Regards,
      Kunjareths

      > On Jul 10, 2006, at 6:31 PM, akoddsson wrote:
      >
      > > Regarding the element 'visi-' in english 'visigoths', I am not
      sure that there is a general scholarly consensus as to what its
      actual form would be in Gothic. It is often thought to mean
      something like 'famous/renowned'. I have never seen any references
      to this element being used in germanic languages, personal- or place-
      names in general. It seems isolated, and thus likely the questions
      about what its Gothic form would have been, if it is indeed Gothic.
      However, I noticed that it could be related to the name Visborg on
      Gutland, which is mentioned in Gutasaga and in Gutland inscription
      #100 (rundatabase). What struck me here is that the element occurs,
      of all places, on Gutland ;) Now, as is known, Visborg is a major
      historical location on Gutland. Now, it would certainly be
      interesting if the so-called 'visi-goths' of later, continental fame
      had this 'visi-' element due to an historical origin in or around
      Visborg. Judging from the changes into the later Gutlandic, an
      earlier form might have been something like *weisibaurgs in
      Wulfila's spelling. Anyway, the fact that the only other possible
      instance of the 'visi-' element that I could find was on Gutland,
      and then for a major location, really struck me.