[gothic-l] Gothic inquiries

  • Alan Huffman
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 13, 1998
      Dear Readers of the Gothic List,
      By way of introducing myself, let me say that I am a professional linguist
      of the functional-theoretical variety, but trained in the Martinet-Diver kind
      of functionalism at Columbia U, and thus very much interested in actual langua-
      ges. I have a pretty good background in Germanic, but am a bit of a dabbler in
      Gothic, because I had to teach it to myself. I find it one of the most elegant
      and interesting languages I have learned. I used Fernand Mosse's excellent
      grammar, latest edition 1956. Having been hitherto isolated from the world of
      real Gothic scholars but delighted now to have found this wormhole to that uni-
      verse, I have two particular queries I would like to pose to the cognoscenti.
      1) Have any new Gothic manuscripts been discovered since the time of
      Mosse's grammar? I.e. do we now possess any more actual Gothic text than was
      known at that time?
      2) I wish very much to procure for myself a copy of a good edition of the
      Gothic texts, something like Streitberg, or, depending on the answer to ques-
      tion (1), a more modern one. I have looked in book stores in the US, and had
      friends do research for me in Germany (e.g. Hamburger Antiquariat), but have
      so far been unsuccessful. Would anybody have a suggestion for me?
      By way of signing off, let me express my appreciation for this new list,
      and encourage people to submit any information on Gothic research, however ele-
      mentary it may seem. People like me will find any tidbit of great interest.
      AH
    • Lars Munkhammar
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 15, 1998
        At 23.57 1998-12-13 EST, you wrote:
        >Dear Readers of the Gothic List,
        > By way of introducing myself, let me say that I am a professional linguist
        >of the functional-theoretical variety, but trained in the Martinet-Diver kind
        >of functionalism at Columbia U, and thus very much interested in actual langua-
        >ges. I have a pretty good background in Germanic, but am a bit of a dabbler in
        >Gothic, because I had to teach it to myself. I find it one of the most elegant
        >and interesting languages I have learned. I used Fernand Mosse's excellent
        >grammar, latest edition 1956. Having been hitherto isolated from the world of
        >real Gothic scholars but delighted now to have found this wormhole to that uni-
        >verse, I have two particular queries I would like to pose to the cognoscenti.
        > 1) Have any new Gothic manuscripts been discovered since the time of
        >Mosse's grammar? I.e. do we now possess any more actual Gothic text than was
        >known at that time?
        > 2) I wish very much to procure for myself a copy of a good edition of the
        >Gothic texts, something like Streitberg, or, depending on the answer to ques-
        >tion (1), a more modern one. I have looked in book stores in the US, and had
        >friends do research for me in Germany (e.g. Hamburger Antiquariat), but have
        >so far been unsuccessful. Would anybody have a suggestion for me?
        > By way of signing off, let me express my appreciation for this new list,
        >and encourage people to submit any information on Gothic research, however ele-
        >mentary it may seem. People like me will find any tidbit of great interest.
        > AH
        >Egroups is a FREE service thanks to NextCard Internet VISA.
        >Apply online now for an intro APR as low as 2.9%.
        >http://ads.egroups.com/click/134/2/
        >

        >Free Web-based e-mail groups -- http://www.eGroups.com

        Dear Alan Huffman,

        Concerning your first question: beside the Haffner leaf in Speyer, there is
        at least one more Gothic manuscript descovery made since 1956, and a very
        peculiar one. In 1954 a lead scroll was found in a germanic grave in
        Hács-Béndekpuszta in Hunagry. The scroll, which is unfortunately in peaces
        today, had inscriptions. A couple of years ago, the Hungarian scolar János
        Harmatta could identify the text. The letters are of two types: Gothic
        uncial and Gothic cursive. The content is the Lord's Prayer from three of
        the Gospels: St. John, St. Matthew, and St. Luke. The Lord's Prayer from St.
        Luke in Gothic is not known before. Harmatta means that the translation is
        Wulfila's.
        Ref.: HARMATTA, János, Fragments of Wulfila's Gothic translation of the New
        Testament from Hács-Béndekpuszta. (Acta Antiqua Academiae Scientiarum
        Hungaricae, 37:1996/97, pp. 1–24.)

        Sincerely,
        Lars Munkhammar

      • David Salo
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 15, 1998
        • Magnus Hreinn Snaedal
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 16, 1998
            Notice that 'farwa' is not strong fem. As the form 'aþaramma' shows it is
            dat.sg. of either a strong masc. or neut. I thik it is generally taken to
            be a neut., nom.sg. 'farw'.
            M.Sn.

            E-group home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/gothic-l