Re: Gothic names (Was: Goths, Visigoths and Ostrogoths).

  • Rydwlf
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 29, 2006
      Sorry... Yahoo did some kind of trick and I sent the mail before I had finished it.

      As I was saying there are some addresses in the net dealing with Gothic names:

      http://www.themiddleages.net/people/names.html : This deals mainly with Anglo-Norman names, but some Gothic male names may be found in the section about Early Germanic Names. The references used are "Gregory of Tours' History of the Franks".

      http://www.gaminggeeks.org/Resources/KateMonk/ offers a curious bunch of names from different geographical areas and historical times. The list for Goth names is big and can be found in http://www.gaminggeeks.org/Resources/KateMonk/Europe-Medieval/Goths.htm . The only problem is that I'd like to have more concise references to these names in actual historical documents, but the list of sources is not clear and doesn't have any way to link the supposedly Gothic names (at least they sound Gothic) to a trustable source. What's your opinion about that?

      About Martha and Maria, see the entries in www.behindthename.com/

      MARTHA Gender: Feminine Usage: English, Scandinavian, Greek, Biblical Other Scripts: Μαρθα (Greek) Pronounced: MAHR-tha [key]
      Means "mistress of the house" or "lady" in Aramaic. This was the name of sister of Lazarus and Mary of Bethany in the New Testament. It was also borne by Martha Washington, the wife of the first American president.

      MARY Gender: Feminine Usage: English, Biblical Pronounced: MER-ee [key]
      Usual English form of Maria, which was the Latin form of the New Testament Greek names Μαριαμ (Mariam) or Μαρια (Maria) (the spellings are interchangeable), which were from the Hebrew name מִרְיָם (Miryam). The meaning is not known for certain, but there are several theories including "sea of bitterness", "rebelliousness", and "wished for child". However it was most likely originally an Egyptian name, perhaps derived in part from mry "beloved" or mr "love". This is the name of several New Testament characters, most importantly Mary the virgin mother of Jesus, and Mary Magdalene. Two queens of England have had this name, as well as a Queen of Scotland, Mary Queen of Scots.

      So you were utterly right, Manie.

      Cheers,
      Rydwlf

      Rydwlf <mitsuhippon@...> wrote:
      Hails!

      I found a couple of webs in which you can find some Gothic names.
      http://www.themiddleages.net/people/names.html

      Manie Lombard <manielombard@...> wrote:
      Martha is Aramaic and Maria (< heb. Miryam < Maryam; greek Mariamne,..) is most probably Egyptian.

        I thing that Marta and Maria are jewish names

        Rydwlf Vallejo B. Wodensonn __________________________________________________
        Do You Yahoo!?
        http://mail.yahoo.com

        Rydwlf Vallejo B. Wodensonn

      • OSCAR HERRERA

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 19, 2006
            At
            http://www.gaminggeeks.org/Resources/KateMonk/Europe-Medieval/Goths.htm
            I found that Apahida was a Gothic name.

            I don`t know the source for that. In Romania (in Tranylvania, near
            Cluj) there is a village with this name where the two most important
            Germanic treasures were discovered:

            http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apahida
            http://www.ici.ro/romania/ro/cultura/mz_tezaur-apahida.html (in
            Romanian but with images).