Re: [gothic-l] Goths, Visigoths and Ostrogoths.

  • Michal Cigan
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 23, 2006
      Especially in the name: Goths, East Goths and West Goths :) No, seriously, names of the gentes of those times were very important "trademarks"...

      blakpiercing <deadwicca@...> wrote: Is/Are there any major difference(s) among Goths, Visigoths and
      Ostrogoths?

    • OSCAR HERRERA
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 23, 2006
        they were all the same......they divided because of a over populated issues.....

        Michal Cigan <michalcigan@...> wrote: Especially in the name: Goths, East Goths and West Goths :) No, seriously, names of the gentes of those times were very important "trademarks"...

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 23, 2006
          wanted to know if there is any known names of gothic females.....i know marta was one.....maybe anna, maria......theramundja might have been a female leader of the goths while they were at war against the moors in spain in the 1200 s a.c.......

          Michal Cigan <michalcigan@...> wrote: Especially in the name: Goths, East Goths and West Goths :) No, seriously, names of the gentes of those times were very important "trademarks"...

          blakpiercing <deadwicca@...> wrote: Is/Are there any major difference(s) among Goths, Visigoths and
          Ostrogoths?

        • Michael Erwin
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 23, 2006
            A 10th-century Greek list of 4th-century Gothic martyrs (see Heather
            & Matthews 118-119) includes (Gothic spellings unknown):

            "of women: Anna, Alas, Baren, Moiko, Kamika, Oneko and Anemais." also
            "Gaatha" and "Doulkilla" from the same source.

            Jordanes includes some 6th-century names - Amalasuin(th)a and Matasuin
            (th)a being the most famous.

            The modern Spanish name Ximena may come from the Gothic.

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 23, 2006
              I thing that Marta and Maria are jewish names

            • Manie Lombard
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 24, 2006
                Martha is Aramaic and Maria (< heb. Miryam < Maryam; greek Mariamne,..) is most probably Egyptian.

                I thing that Marta and Maria are jewish names

              • Rydwlf
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 29, 2006
                  Hails!

                  I found a couple of webs in which you can find some Gothic names.
                  http://www.themiddleages.net/people/names.html

                  Manie Lombard <manielombard@...> wrote:
                  Martha is Aramaic and Maria (< heb. Miryam < Maryam; greek Mariamne,..) is most probably Egyptian.

                  I thing that Marta and Maria are jewish names

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Rydwlf Vallejo B. Wodensonn
                • Rydwlf
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 29, 2006
                    Sorry... Yahoo did some kind of trick and I sent the mail before I had finished it.

                    As I was saying there are some addresses in the net dealing with Gothic names:

                    http://www.themiddleages.net/people/names.html : This deals mainly with Anglo-Norman names, but some Gothic male names may be found in the section about Early Germanic Names. The references used are "Gregory of Tours' History of the Franks".

                    http://www.gaminggeeks.org/Resources/KateMonk/ offers a curious bunch of names from different geographical areas and historical times. The list for Goth names is big and can be found in http://www.gaminggeeks.org/Resources/KateMonk/Europe-Medieval/Goths.htm . The only problem is that I'd like to have more concise references to these names in actual historical documents, but the list of sources is not clear and doesn't have any way to link the supposedly Gothic names (at least they sound Gothic) to a trustable source. What's your opinion about that?

                    About Martha and Maria, see the entries in www.behindthename.com/

                    MARTHA Gender: Feminine Usage: English, Scandinavian, Greek, Biblical Other Scripts: Μαρθα (Greek) Pronounced: MAHR-tha [key]
                    Means "mistress of the house" or "lady" in Aramaic. This was the name of sister of Lazarus and Mary of Bethany in the New Testament. It was also borne by Martha Washington, the wife of the first American president.

                    MARY Gender: Feminine Usage: English, Biblical Pronounced: MER-ee [key]
                    Usual English form of Maria, which was the Latin form of the New Testament Greek names Μαριαμ (Mariam) or Μαρια (Maria) (the spellings are interchangeable), which were from the Hebrew name מִרְיָם (Miryam). The meaning is not known for certain, but there are several theories including "sea of bitterness", "rebelliousness", and "wished for child". However it was most likely originally an Egyptian name, perhaps derived in part from mry "beloved" or mr "love". This is the name of several New Testament characters, most importantly Mary the virgin mother of Jesus, and Mary Magdalene. Two queens of England have had this name, as well as a Queen of Scotland, Mary Queen of Scots.

                    So you were utterly right, Manie.

                    Cheers,
                    Rydwlf

                    Rydwlf <mitsuhippon@...> wrote:
                    Hails!

                    I found a couple of webs in which you can find some Gothic names.
                    http://www.themiddleages.net/people/names.html

                    Manie Lombard <manielombard@...> wrote:
                    Martha is Aramaic and Maria (< heb. Miryam < Maryam; greek Mariamne,..) is most probably Egyptian.

                    I thing that Marta and Maria are jewish names

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Rydwlf Vallejo B. Wodensonn __________________________________________________
                    Do You Yahoo!?
                    http://mail.yahoo.com

                    Rydwlf Vallejo B. Wodensonn

                  • OSCAR HERRERA

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 19, 2006
                          At
                          http://www.gaminggeeks.org/Resources/KateMonk/Europe-Medieval/Goths.htm
                          I found that Apahida was a Gothic name.

                          I don`t know the source for that. In Romania (in Tranylvania, near
                          Cluj) there is a village with this name where the two most important
                          Germanic treasures were discovered:

                          http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apahida
                          http://www.ici.ro/romania/ro/cultura/mz_tezaur-apahida.html (in
                          Romanian but with images).