Re: [gothic-l] Re: More Toponymics

  • David Kiltz
    Message 1 of 25 , May 26, 2006
      On 24.05.2006, at 23:42, llama_nom wrote:

      > Hi David,
      >
      > Is 'pairu' an alternate reading of the gloss to 2Cor 12:7? Wright
      > has 'gairu' for that, but according to the 1956 edition of Braune's
      > Gotische Grammatik (revised by Karl Helm), 'gairu' was an earlier
      > reading for 'qairu'. It's a pity there isn't an online facsimile of
      > the epistles yet.

      Yes, it is indeed (..., atgibana ist mis hnuthô (paíru A) leika
      meinamma,...). I was aware of the various readings but had already
      sent the post when it occured to me that it should have been
      accompanied by a small note. Sorry. The reading _paíru_ was proposed
      by Ebbinghaus in GL (General Linguistics) 19 (1979), p. 188ff. It
      figures in Braune/ Ebbinghause's 1981 edition of the 'Gotische
      Grammatik' where it's taken to be an assured reading (with reference
      to earlier ones, of course). It's still present and presented as an
      assured reading in the 20. edition of the 'Gotische Grammatik' (2004)
      edited by Frank Heidermanns. Magnús Snaedal also has it in his 1998
      Compendium. The ealier reading _gairu_ goes back to Castiglione and
      Uppström, the reading _qairu_ was Braun's. The latter is supported by
      Streitberg in IF 24 (1909). I wanted to check Ebbinghauses
      contribution in GL 19 but unfortunately our university library, in
      all its glory, only has volumes1984+. So, I gotta get it elsewhere.
      Maybe you can check it. It'd be interesting to know how Ebbinghaus
      arrived at his reading. According to Streitberg's IF essay, we're
      apparently dealing with mere traces of ink.
      Streitberg spoke in favour of _qairu_ because it can nicely be
      combined with IE. *_gweru_, cf. Lat. _veru_ n. 'Speer, Spieß' [spear,
      skewer], Umbrian _berva_ 'uerua, Cymr., Corn., Bret. _ber_, OIR. _bi
      (u)r_ idem. See Pokorny IEW p. 479.

      David Kiltz