Re: Help

  • Ingemar Nordgren
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 29, 2006
      Hi Tim,

      Long time no see on this list. I think you have a point indeed since
      of course the minstrels were the persons spreading those poems and
      everyone making his own adding to the story or own variant to suit the
      lord he entertained. The main reason I think that so much had been
      preserved on Iceland was the fact that most, not to say all, of the
      leading courtminstrels at all the Scandinavian courts came from a very
      few and selective Icelandic families who claimed just a background
      from what the Icelanders called Eastscandinavia ,i.e. Sweden and
      Denmark, and also had a fertility cult background from Frey and Freya
      which was not common on Iceland. The mother was leading in those
      families meaning the children took name after her - a matrilinear
      tradition from the fertilitycult - and she used to be the local
      frejadis- pristess of Freya - and the farm type they possessed was
      called Sauerbær-farms implying that they used animal fertilizer-dunge-
      from breeding of pigs in farming. The families stuck strong to their
      origin and preserved and told stories from the time before landnam for
      their children. In such way the deeds of their ancestors were never
      totally forgotten and those traditions hence originally came from
      Scandinavia.

      Best wishes
      Ingemar

      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Caldwell" <vikingtimbo650@...>