Poetry translated

  • Michael Adams
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 24 7:18 AM
      English and ... "official" translation?

      BUTTERFLIES ARE FREE: Oh sweet butterfly, so like the wind you
      ride, to catch you is to know you but in this all I do is still
      you and hold you captive, butterflies are free, to know the
      currents of wind, to fly afar, never to be held by mortal
      hands. For in the holding is the tragedy, for what are dreams
      held but never let free.

      O *blomafliugo waliso, thuei windaleiko ufaro airthai nu rinnis
      Ibai sa fahands thuk frathjan duginnith
      Hva maht ist haldis nibai hafta thuk fastan
      Frijos sind *fliugons, thozei fairrathro brahtedun
      Windos thai waiandans fram waihstam this midjungardis
      Ni du fragiban thos gumane handum
      Wai thamma wiljandin winda gatamjan
      Draum faurdammjan in daubithos hairtins
      ------------
      THE GRAIL: I seem to ramble from place to place, never staying
      one in any one place, ever searching, like a knight on quest,
      for that grail oh so dear, so close but oh so far, almost in
      sight, but never visible, I go on and on, until the end is here,
      and it draws near, and I can hear the calls of angels sweet, and
      I shall finally drink of that cup, so rich and rare a draught it
      shall be, for in the end, the cup will hold life, and life is so
      sweet, and to know this, I quest.

      STIKLIS SOKNS
      Ungastoths hvarbo [ik] bi hveilain ni saurgands
      Sinteino sokjands stilk thana weihan
      *Laiwin galeiks saei laisteith tho stairnon
      Merjandein *mariwig faura maurginis uhtwon
      - Swiknana stikl ni bisauleith manna
      Afguths jah unwairths, arwjo skal sokjan -
      Framis nu farja bi fulginai mundrein
      Und thana andi, than aggiljus haitand mik
      Skaunjaim stibnom. Stikl than andnima
      Dragk thata *diurjo drigka us thamma
      Junda tho aiweinon aigi sa wairtha
      Libains galauba - laun this sokjandins