Re: Some thoughts about endings etc.

  • Ingemar Nordgren
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 22, 2006
      > > Yes, e.g. nuta "fisher".
      >
      > Nuta seems to use the oldest agentive suffix *-an- which (I've read)
      > was probably not "active" in word creation during Wulfila's time, at
      > least, not as much as *-jan-, probably for the latter's greater
      > distinctness from simple weak noun endings. Nuta looks like it might
      > be an ablaut of *natja- "net", thus, nuta = lit. "netter".

      Hi,

      'nuta' is well fitting with Swedish 'not' and 'nät' and the word'nota'
      for fishing with a not is quite possible to fit into modern Swedish
      but is not used as far as I know -one use 'kasta (throw) or dra (pull)
      not'. Also a net can be thrown but 'näta' is a less probable
      construction nowadays but still logical and theoretically possible.
      Hence I support it means fishing with net.

      Best