Trouble with Goats (feminine i-stem? consonant stem?)

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 17, 2005
      Aha, I see what the trouble is with 'gaits'. David Salo lists it
      wrongly in his first lesson as a masculine a-stem. It's even given as
      masculine in the glossary of Joseph Wright's Grammar of the Gothic
      Language. But Streitberg's dictionary calls it a feminine i-stem. It
      must be feminine, unless the Gothic manuscript is unclear at this
      point (*the word is only recorded once*).

      jah gaits [·a·] gamanwida was mis
      and one goat was prepared for me
      Nehemiah 5,18

      The past participle has the feminine adjectival ending -a.

      Another possibility besides being an i-stem, is that 'gaits' was a
      consonant stem, like 'baurgs' "town". This latter guess would agree
      with the declension of the word in Old English and Old Norse--both
      feminine.