Pronunciation of "sk"

  • Donald Boozer
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2005
      Hails!
      New to the list, and I've only recently begun working on David Salo's
      Gothic lessons online. Also working with William H. Bennett's An
      Introduction to the Gothic Language. I've looked in various sources
      but can't find an answer to my question:
      In Gothic, is "sk" ever pronounced as in English /sh/? I know the
      Gothic sk is related to German sch and OE sc (Got. fisks, German
      Fisch, Mod. English fish; Got. skips, OE scip, Mod. Eng. ship). I
      realize there are also instances where Got. sk would be pronounced as
      in OE ascian. Is there a definitive answer on the pronunciation of sk?

      Don
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 4, 2005
        Hello Don,

        Can't say for sure, but I haven't heard of any evidence (e.g. in the
        spelling of Gothic personal names by Greek writers) to suggest that
        Gothic <sk> had a "sh" pronunciation, e.g. before front vowels. I
        think that at the time of the Gothic bible translation in the 4th
        century, this combination had yet to acquire its modern pronunciation
        in English and German. In the Latin epigram De Conviviis Barbaris,
        the Gothic or Vandal word 'skapjam' begins with the Roman letters
        <sc>, so as far as I know, no indication of palatisation in all
        initial positions as later happened in English and German.