Gothic fonts & letters

  • Fredrik
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29, 2005
      About the gothic letters. In a source I have (National encyclopedia)
      there's two types of letters. The old and the younger. It seems to be
      like one of em have the top cut of. The o is more like a x and the b is
      like a R upside down. But in the other the B looks like B. Why is that?
      Is it correct, and what should they look like?

      I also wonder if there's a font with gothic letters that is better to
      use when writing in internet and documents etc. and that might contain
      real spaces so it doesn't look like one whole word the whole sentence,
      if you know what I mean.

      If some one can explain to me, in short word, how to make an pdf I
      would be very happy...

      /Fredrik
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 30, 2005
        James Marchand writes: "The CODEX ARGENTEUS is written in an
        alphabet devised by Wulfila, though it seems quite likely that some
        changes have been made in the intervening century and a half. The
        Gothic alphabet has two styles, one (I will call it style I) using a
        sigma-like sign and a nasal suspension for n only, and the other (I
        will call it style II) uses the Latin and suspension marks for both
        n and m (Fairbanks and Magoun). The CA is written in Style II, and
        it seems quite likely that this is a later development, probably in
        Ostrogothic Italy. Various ligatures arise out of need for space,
        etc., and larger and smaller letters are used."

        http://www.florin.ms/aleph2.html#argenteus

        The following article by David Landau has lots of interesting stuff
        about the manuscripts including a table showing variant forms of the
        first few letters of the Gothic alphabet.

        http://www.cs.tut.fi/~dla/report.pdf

        So there´s a bit of variety. The Codex Argenteus [
        http://www.ub.uu.se/arv/codex/faksimiledition/contents.html ] has
        an "S" just like the Roman alphabet. Other manuscripts have this
        sigma-inspired "S" that looks like a backwards "3". You can see it
        in the photograph of Wiljariþ´s signiature on the Naples deed, p.
        246 of Peter Heather´s "The Goths", also illustrated more clearly in
        Bradley´s book of the same name (but I can´t remember which page).
        Online here [ http://www.gotica.de/ ], click on
        Verkaufsverträge/Urkunden. The Bendekpuszta tablet (Fragmenta
        Pannonica) has an angular sigma-like "S". But the Codex Gissensis
        has a Roman "S" like the Codex Argenteus.

        > I also wonder if there's a font with gothic letters that is better
        > use when writing in internet and documents etc. and that might
        contain
        > real spaces so it doesn't look like one whole word the whole
        sentence,
        > if you know what I mean.

        I downloaded a font called "gothic 1" [
        http://www.dafont.com/en/font.php?file=gothic1 ]--not sure if I got
        it from this site, but it looks the same. Do you know any others
        that work? It's fairly basic, with just one dot for punctuation.
        It can look blocky on Word if the letters are too small, but okay
        when they're big enough. And if you type any key that isn't
        programmed for a Gothic letter, it jumps back to the most boring
        font: Arial. If I want spaces, I just press space twice.

        It would be nice to have one with ligatures, multiple dots for more
        punctuation, choice of "S", and the option of using modern
        punctuation too.

        > If some one can explain to me, in short word, how to make an pdf I
        > would be very happy...

        Do you have the program for making PDF files? With that installed,
        you can convert a web page by clicking on the PDF symbol on the task
        bar of your browers. Word documents can be converted by selecting
        print, then chosing "Adobe PFD" in the window that comes up, in the
        box that says "Name", instead of the name of a printer. There's
        probably other ways to do it too, but that's what I do.