Re: [gothic-l] Re: a Gothic poem (verse 3)--syntax, word usage

  • David Kiltz
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 2, 2005
      On 31.08.2005, at 03:00, Le Bateman wrote:

      > Volume I Grimm's Teutonic Mythology. Reprint of the 1876 edition.
      > Le

      Thank you very much.

      llama/ Arthur:
      On the note of Gothic 'to dream'. No, I can't find an attested form
      either in the Gothic corpus. However, next to _*draum-, draugm-_
      consider derivatives of PGerm. _*sweƀnaz_ (swebnaz_). In the OldEngl.
      poem 'Dream of the Rood' we find the expression "...swefna ... hwaet
      me gemaette", thus, a dream 'that met me'. So Arthur might, perhaps,
      as well consider using something like _*swibns_ as 'dream'. As for
      impersonal expressions like 'methinks/ mich dünkt', it should be
      noted that in (archaizing) NHGerman it's 'mir träumt' with dative,
      not accusative. In Icelandic it's the accusative e.g. 'mik dreymdi
      draum'.

      -David
      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 3, 2005
        Do you have access to Google?

        http://www.google.com

        It can such questions, and fast. If the above URL isn't working,
        change ".com" to ".ca" or ".co.uk" or the code of some other
        country. Or use another search engine [ http://www.lycos.com/ ], [
        http://www.yahoo.com/ ], etc.

        In case none of these options are available to you, for whatever
        reason, try:

        http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kurisuto/germanic/aa_texts.html
        http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kurisuto/germanic/goth_wright_about.html

        You had "wright-about" in place of "wright_about".

        LN

        --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Jacob L. Bateman III"
        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 3, 2005
          "It can answer such questions..." <---self-correction