Re: [gothic-l] Re: a Gothic poem (verse 3)--syntax, word usage

  • Le Bateman
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 30, 2005
      Volume I Grimm's Teutonic Mythology. Reprint of the 1876 edition.
      Le
      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 30, 2005
        Does anyone know the url Sean Crist's Gothic Grammar page, I cannot seem
        to get it open. I wanted to make sure I had the right address.
        www.ling.upenn.edu\~kurisuto\ germanic\goth_wright-about.html. I cannot open
        the page. If someone has the correct url please send it to me.
        Le

        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 30, 2005
          Der Bruder Grimm war Jakob; Die Titel auf Das Buch war Die Teutonisch
          Mythologie. Ich weiss nicht Was das veil oder kapitel war. Gott Im
          Himmell! Die Titel auf Das Kapitel war Gott. Kapitel Ein Ich Glaube.
          Le
          On 28.08.2005, at 06:25, Le Bateman wrote:

          > Isn't that form guð instead of guþ? Grimm seemed to think it was.
          > He said
          > the Goths dereived their name from guð. Which is the word for God.
          > Le

          There is no ð in Gothic. At least, there is no special sign for it.
          The question of _grammatischer Wechsel_ (Verner's Law) is somewhat
          disputed. At any rate, Gothic shows the (most probably) voiceless
          interdental spirant þ. Grimm would refer to the Proto-Germanic form.

          David

          P.S. Could you give the reference, please ? That is, which of the
          Brüder Grimm and where it is said, so I can check it ? Thanks !

          You are a member of the Gothic-L list. To unsubscribe, send a blank email
          to <gothic-l-unsubscribe@egroups.com>.
          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • David Kiltz
          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 2, 2005
            On 31.08.2005, at 03:00, Le Bateman wrote:

            > Volume I Grimm's Teutonic Mythology. Reprint of the 1876 edition.
            > Le

            Thank you very much.

            llama/ Arthur:
            On the note of Gothic 'to dream'. No, I can't find an attested form
            either in the Gothic corpus. However, next to _*draum-, draugm-_
            consider derivatives of PGerm. _*sweƀnaz_ (swebnaz_). In the OldEngl.
            poem 'Dream of the Rood' we find the expression "...swefna ... hwaet
            me gemaette", thus, a dream 'that met me'. So Arthur might, perhaps,
            as well consider using something like _*swibns_ as 'dream'. As for
            impersonal expressions like 'methinks/ mich dünkt', it should be
            noted that in (archaizing) NHGerman it's 'mir träumt' with dative,
            not accusative. In Icelandic it's the accusative e.g. 'mik dreymdi
            draum'.

            -David
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 3, 2005
              Do you have access to Google?

              http://www.google.com

              It can such questions, and fast. If the above URL isn't working,
              change ".com" to ".ca" or ".co.uk" or the code of some other
              country. Or use another search engine [ http://www.lycos.com/ ], [
              http://www.yahoo.com/ ], etc.

              In case none of these options are available to you, for whatever
              reason, try:

              http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kurisuto/germanic/aa_texts.html
              http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kurisuto/germanic/goth_wright_about.html

              You had "wright-about" in place of "wright_about".

              LN

              --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Jacob L. Bateman III"
              Message 6 of 30 , Sep 3, 2005
                "It can answer such questions..." <---self-correction