Names of cities

  • Fredrik
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 30, 2005
      If names of cities should be translated to gothic could these be
      correct translations?

      Gothenburg (sw. göteborg) = Gáutêbaúrgs (gáutê as gen. pl. of gáuts)
      If im not totaly wrong the swedish name göteborg is the gen. pl. form
      of götar.

      Malmö = Malmáuja. This is not exactly translated coz sw. malm ain't the
      same meaning as in gothic, but i guess both words are of the same
      origin.

      Stockholm = Stukkahulms. Recently I saw the word stukks with a similar
      meaning as sw. stock. And hulms (i-stem) with the meaning islane or
      isle.

      Also about romania. Romans is rumôneis. Romania could it be Rumônja?

      /Fredrik
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 30, 2005
        Hi Fredrik,

        You suggestions look good to me, except that in the nominative I'd
        expect *Malm(a)-awi, jo-stem, like 'mawi' (if this is the same as 'ö'
        meaning "island").

        LN