Re: Grammar questions

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 28, 2005
      > > d)...jah stodun þái nasidái faura imma.
      > I think variant d is correct, but am not sure (maybe Llama Nom
      > better…)

      Yes 'd' is right, but with the demonstrative/article it's declined
      weak: þai nasidans.

      > > 6) How to make a compund word when the first word has a
      > > that is the same as the second words first vowel.
      > > e.g. stáins + aqizi = stáina-aqizi or stáinaqizi?
      > I don't know, but personally I'd prefer "stáinaqizi" (looks

      There doesn't seem to be any rule against having two vowels
      together: galiugaapaustauleis (2Cor 11,13). Lots more examples with
      prefixes GA-, ANA- and AFTRA-.

      > > b) Atta qinons þizoz juggons.
      > > This is meant to be: The father of the young woman.
      > Again the second version: Atta qinons þizoz juggons

      þizos, with final <s>. This is the regular for the Bible, and
      sometimes found in other Germanic languages. Alternative Skeireins-
      like possibilities, perhaps: "þizos juggons qinons atta" or "atta
      þizos juggons qinons". Not sure how relevant this is, but I've read
      that the (seperate) article is most likely to come after the noun in
      Old Norse with a nickname or a characteristic by which a person is
      known (Álvarez: "Antiguo Islandes" 30.1.1.C): Myrkvið inn
      ókunna "Mirkwood the Unknown". But some of his other examples are
      seem less formalised: fé þat allt "all the money"; maðr inn
      gamli "the old man". On the other hand, 'inn gamli maðr' gets 7
      hits on Google (various sagas), as against none for 'maðr inn
      gamli'. OE and OHG examples in Wright´s Gothic Grammar: Wulfmær se
      geonga "W. the Young"; Ludowîg ther snello "L. the Brave". Here´s
      an interesting paper I found recently on word order of genitive
      constructions in late Old English:

      The Syntax of Genitive Constructions in Old English:
      placement of genitive phrases in Ælfric's second series of
      Catholic Homilies (Helen R McLagan)

      And for clues on the position of adjectives see Old Norse Online [
      http://www.utexas.edu/cola/depts/lrc/eieol/norol-TC-X.html ],
      section 49, Runic Syntax--this dealing with the language of the
      earliest attested Scandinavian inscriptions.

      Re. adjectival declensions, note that the genitive singular
      sometimes differed (or is believed to have differed) from 'midjis'
      in the other declensions:

      masc. neut. fem.

      wilþeis *wilþeis (*wilþjis?) *wilþjaizos
      hrainis hrainis *hrainjaizos
      *hardaus *haurdaus *hardaus

      Cf. Wright, Braune, Streitberg, etc. Gothic grammars online: