Want a number of a post

  • Fredrik
    Message 1 of 3 , May 26 6:24 AM
      I wonder if anyone knows what number a post has that contains some
      names (new constructed) of countries in gothic. It might also contain
      som city names and other neoligisms and adjectives conected to the
      countries. As swedish to Sweden etc.

      /Fredrik
      Message 2 of 3 , May 26 7:52 AM
        --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Fredrik" <gadrauhts@h...> wrote:
        > I wonder if anyone knows what number a post has that contains some
        > names (new constructed) of countries in gothic. It might also
        contain
        > som city names and other neoligisms and adjectives conected to the
        > countries. As swedish to Sweden etc.
        >
        > /Fredrik

        Hi Fredrik,

        Maybe you're thinking of Francisc's post 1223. I'm not really sure
        how best to Gothicise 'Sweden'. Unfortunately Hellquist's Ordbok is
        offline at the moment due to computer problems at Lysator.
        For 'Swede' "a native of Sweden" the Oxford English Dictionary has:

        [a. MLG., MDu. Swede (mod. Zweed), = HG. Schwede native of SWEDEN,
        q.v.
        The OE. name was Swéon (pl.), in ON. Svíar (Sw. Svear), whence L.
        Suiones (see SUIOGOTHIC), med.L. Swei; also OE. Swéoþéod (Swáþéod in
        the Peterborough Chron. an. 1025), ON. Svíþjóð (= lit. Swede-
        people), whence, it has been conjectured, arose the forms from which
        Swede and Sweden are derived.
        The med.L. forms for the name of the country are Suecia (whence
        It. Svezia, Sp., Pg. Svecia), Suedia, and Sueonia; for the adj. of
        nationality Suecus (whence Sp., Pg. Sueco), Suecicus, and Suedus.]

        Llama Nom
      • Manie Lombard
        Message 3 of 3 , May 26 12:00 PM
          I have started a list, but am not finished yet :)))

          regards
          Manie