Re: [gothic-l] Custom Question

  • John Stewart
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 27, 2005
      Hi Larry,

      There are some beheadings in (Snorri Sturluson's) Heimskringla, namely in
      the part about the vows of the Jomsborg vikings. Forgive me if you already
      know the story: it's where Earl Sigvald has vowed to sail up to Norway and
      kill Earl Hakon or drive him out of the country. The Jomsborg vikings get
      defeated at Hjorungavagr, prisoners are taken on land and beheaded one by
      one. But one of the Jomsborg vikings, a guy named Sigurd, pretends he
      doesn't want his hair bloodied. He gathers his hair up above his head as
      he's bent over, holding it out of the way of the axe. One of the captors
      does him the favor of grabbing the hair to hold it clear. But as the axe is
      coming down, Sigurd yanks his head back toward himself, thereby dragging the
      arms of the hair-holder into the path of the axe, so that both arms get
      chopped off.

      A long stick to wrap in the hair might have saved that captor's arms!

      As I understand it, a similar but different version appears in the
      Jomsvikinga saga, but I don't have a copy of that.

      kind regards,
      John Stewart

      to <gothic-l-unsubscribe@egroups.com>.

      --