Re: [gothic-l] 4 questions

  • OSCAR HERRERA
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 11, 2005
      i thought the eastern or ostrogoths were not conquered but driven from the mainframe of italy and thus settled in northeastern italy,venice,southern austria,etc....the lombards were forced by other german tribes to settle in and around milan.....im sure this is attested.....the western or visigoths as you said have settled in and about spain.....spanish is spoken there with the s pronunciation spoken as th in that current status because the goths made it that way.....it would be nicer to have the gothic language reinstated in spain or just reinstated somewhere....oscar

      macmaster@... wrote:

      Hi David,
      While I can't help you with Polish info, I can try to answer your third
      question.

      The last speakers of a Gothic language only died out in the 18th century.
      After the migrations of the main bodies of the Goths (Visigoths and
      Ostrogoths) westward, a small group of "Tetraxite" Goths settled in the
      Crimean penninsula. They only disappeared around 1750 or so. (A Flemish
      diplomat, Ogier Busbecq, provides a short wordlist of 16th century spoken
      Gothic).

      The two main Gothic kingdoms disappeared much earlier: the Ostrogoths were
      conquered by the Byzantines 552/5 and the Visigoths by the Arabs in 711.
      The last descendants of the Ostrogoths in Italy either assimilated in to
      the Frankish or Lombard population or simply vanished into the Italian
      population. The Gothic language and church probably vanished around this
      time.

      The Visigoths lost their language probably in the late 6th or early 7th
      century and merged their own national church into the catholic church at
      the end of the 6th. But self-identified Goths lived on for some time.
      Even after the Arab conquest, the nobility of parts of Southern France
      were identified as members of the Gothic Nation and the Goths were a major
      part of the people of Charlemagne's Empire. Other self-identified
      Visigoths refused to acknowledge the permanence of the Islamic conquest of
      Spain and had begun the Reconquest; the Spanish monarchy and nobility
      consistently identified themselves as the descendants of the Goths.

      So, in that sense, the Goths are very much still alive!

      I hope that helps.
      Tom MacMaster

      Dawid Hallmann said:

      > Slava!