some questions...

  • Fredrik
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 15, 2005
      Hi!

      Here's some questions.

      1) A word for 'key' seems to be lacking. The swedish word nyckel from
      older lykil comes from *lukila- and is a form av lukan = shut, with a
      instrumentalsuffix. Is there any form like this in gothic?

      2) Can some one recomend any site with old english grammar, coz I
      wanna now which gender some OE words have.

      /fredrik
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 15, 2005
        Hi, Fredrik,

        in Gothic there is a verb lukan "to shut", attested only in the
        prefixed forms ga-lukan and us-lukan. But a derivative *lukila- is
        not attested, as far as I know (it doesn't appear in Koebler).

        Francisc

        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 15, 2005
          Hails Fredrik,

          Yes, unfortunately we're missing Mat 16,19 and Luke 11,52. There
          would have been a few keys in Revelations too. Who knows, maybe
          more Gothic manuscripts will come to light one day. In the
          meantime, I think your idea is the most likely guess.
          Icelandic 'lykill' suggests a Gothic *lukils, masculine a-stem.

          Attested is the presumed neuter noun USLUK "hole, opening". Koebler
          has it with a short vowel, like German 'Loch'. And the following
          verbs, of which uslukan & galukan have a long vowel in the
          infinitive (strong class 2), and usluknan & galuknan have a short
          root vowel:

          uslukan +acc. "open something" +dat. "for someone"

          also +acc. "draw" a sword

          absolute sense "to open up, open the door/gate" +dat. "for s-one"
          þammuh daurawards uslukiþ "for him the watchman opens up"

          galukan +acc. in +dat. "lock/shut someone in a place or state"
          galauk Iohannen in karkarai "he locked John in prison"

          +dat. or +acc. for doors
          galukands haurdai þeinai "shutting your door"
          ei guþ uslukai unsis haurd waurdis "so that God may open a door of
          speech for us"

          usluknan "be unlocked/opened"

          galuknan "be closed, be locked"

          Old English links:

          Old English Made Easy (including two-way OE-MnE, MnE-OE dictionary)
          http://home.comcast.net/~modean52

          Anglo-Saxon dictionaries of Bosworth & Toller, and of JR Clark Hall:
          http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kurisuto/germanic/language_resources.html

          Bosworth & Toller "An Anglo-Saxon Dictionary"--under construction
          http://dontgohere.nu/oe/as-bt/
          http://bosworthandtoller.co.uk
          http://bosworthandtoller.com

          Gerhard Koebler has an Old English dictionary here too:
          http://www.koeblergerhard.de/publikat.html

          Online book: "(The Electronic) Introduction to Old English" by Peter
          S Barker
          http://www.wmich.edu/medieval/research/rawl/IOE/

          Hope that's of use,

          Llama Nom

          --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Fredrik" <gadrauhts@h...> wrote:

          > Hi!
          >
          > Here's some questions.
          >
          > 1) A word for 'key' seems to be lacking. The swedish word nyckel
          from
          > older lykil comes from *lukila- and is a form av lukan = shut,
          with a
          > instrumentalsuffix. Is there any form like this in gothic?
          >
          > 2) Can some one recomend any site with old english grammar, coz I
          > wanna now which gender some OE words have.
          >
          > /fredrik
        • OSCAR HERRERA
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 15, 2005
            hwa ist gaskieran faur kusanata....ik funth in jordanes on the goths....

            llama_nom <600cell@...> wrote:

            Hails Fredrik,

            Yes, unfortunately we're missing Mat 16,19 and Luke 11,52. There
            would have been a few keys in Revelations too. Who knows, maybe
            more Gothic manuscripts will come to light one day. In the
            meantime, I think your idea is the most likely guess.
            Icelandic 'lykill' suggests a Gothic *lukils, masculine a-stem.

            Attested is the presumed neuter noun USLUK "hole, opening". Koebler
            has it with a short vowel, like German 'Loch'. And the following
            verbs, of which uslukan & galukan have a long vowel in the
            infinitive (strong class 2), and usluknan & galuknan have a short
            root vowel:

            uslukan +acc. "open something" +dat. "for someone"

            also +acc. "draw" a sword

            absolute sense "to open up, open the door/gate" +dat. "for s-one"
            �ammuh daurawards usluki� "for him the watchman opens up"

            galukan +acc. in +dat. "lock/shut someone in a place or state"
            galauk Iohannen in karkarai "he locked John in prison"

            +dat. or +acc. for doors
            galukands haurdai �einai "shutting your door"
            ei gu� uslukai unsis haurd waurdis "so that God may open a door of

            --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Fredrik" wrote:

            > Hi!
            >
            > Here's some questions.
            >
            > 1) A word for 'key' seems to be lacking. The swedish word nyckel
            from
            > older lykil comes from *lukila- and is a form av lukan = shut,
            with a
            > instrumentalsuffix. Is there any form like this in gothic?
            >
            > 2) Can some one recomend any site with old english grammar, coz I
            > wanna now which gender some OE words have.
            >
            > /fredrik

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 16, 2005
              --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, OSCAR HERRERA <duke.co@s...> wrote:
              > hwa ist gaskieran faur kusanata....ik funth in jordanes on the
              goths....

              Hi Oscar,

              "chosen" ('kusanata' is the past participle of the verb 'kiusan' "to
              chose" + neuter nominative/accusative ending -ata.)

              optatum potita solum

              Yeat: "took possession of the desired land"
              http://www.harbornet.com/folks/theedrich/Goths/Goths1.htm

              Mierow: "came into possession of the desired land"
              http://www.acs.ucalgary.ca/~vandersp/Courses/texts/jordgeti.html

              By "jordanes on the goths" I take it you're referring to a
              translation into Gothic by members of this group from the original
              Latin:

              http://www.stormloader.com/carver/gutrazda/jordanes.html

              For some reason I must have missed this, or forgotten about it. I
              probably saw it years ago, but didn't know enough about Gothic at
              that time to appreciate it. It does look quite convincing: I'm
              impressed! One criticism: I don't think the enclitic -uh can be
              attached to nouns to mean "and", only to verbs and verbal prefixes.
              It can attach to anything to give the senses "now" or "incidentally"-
              -usually in the combination -uh þan / -uþ-þan. Here's some notes
              summarising my current (far from perfect) understanding of this
              particle:

              http://www.oe.eclipse.co.uk/nom/uh.htm

              If anyone's interested, here's my attempt at the same passage
              (though I didn't get quite as far), done a couple of months ago,
              with the help of all the fantastic Gothic resources now available on
              the internet:

              Us hulma þammei Skandjai haitada, swe us þiudo smiþjon, aiþþau swe
              raihtis us kunje kilþein, swah miþ þiudana seinamma, namin haitans
              Bairika, gutans usiddjedun. Sunsei ana airþai usiddjedun, þana staþ
              afar seinamma namin haihaitun. Jah und hina dag, swa qiþada,
              Gutiskandja haitada.

              Þaþroh suns atiddjedun du Hulmarugje stadim, þaiei þan wiþra mareins
              bauaidedun. Bibaurgein waurhtedun jah þans usdribun us ize
              gabaurþai, Wandalans jah ubuhhnaiwidedun swaei sis biaiaikun sigisa.

              Iþ þan þiuda ufarassau managnoda. Jah þiudans warþ Filumers
              Gadareikis sunus, saei fimfta was afar Bairikan, sah garuni nam jah
              baþ ei gutane harjis usiddjedeina miþ ize ingardam ut us þamma gawja.
              Atuh þan gatilos bauainins sokjandam jah andanemjos, qemun at Skyþe
              landam, þoei haitam "ana Aujom", jah faginodedun in gabeins þis
              landis. Jah at harjis halba ufarliþanai, brugja dishnupnoda, þoei
              ufarlaiþ, jah þanamais ni maht was galeiþan nih aftra qiman. Unte sa
              staþs saiwim jah reirandam fanjam bisatiþs was iþ bisunjane
              afgrundiþa. Jah und hina dag auhsne razdos gahausjan mahtos sind jah
              manne bigitan laistins, in þizai ferai, jabai du farane spilla
              galaubjam, sweþauh swaleik þatainei gaumiþ sijai fairraþro.

              NOTES:

              I think the reconstructed *Skadinaujo in the old version might be
              better than my Skandja lifted from the Latin, although I suppose the
              identity of the Gothic homeland is still debated of course, and
              according to one theory the identification with Scandinavia may be a
              learned notion not derived from genuine Gothic myth.

              *Bairika I took from Thedrich Yeat's translation, as this gives a
              possible meaning 'little bear'.

              Skyþj- / Skwþj- is just a spelling difference.

              "ana Aujom" I treated it like names where the preposition and dative
              are conventionally fixed as part of the name, as sometimes happens
              in OE and ON, since the Latin form seems to have taken over the
              dative ending from Gothic.

              There are a lot of differences, but probably most are equally valid,
              e.g. qiþada, merjada.

              Llama Nom
            • ?????? ????????
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 16, 2005
                *****

                Hi Llama Nom!

                If <Aujom> is treated as the dative, what could be the nominative?
                Accordingly, may be considered, in your opinion,
                Finnish <oja> "ditch, drain" as a possible origin
                of this mysterious toponym?

                Vladimir

                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 17, 2005
                  Hi Vladimir,

                  That's interesting. The nominative singular of Gothic *aujom
                  (dat.pl.) would be *auja (feminine jo-stem). The actualy form in
                  Jordanes is Oium/Ojum. Germanic cognates include:

                  OIc. ey
                  OFris. ey
                  Langobardic *auja
                  OE ieg (survives in MnE island, with spelling influenced by the
                  unrelated French isle)

                  Under island the Oxford English dictionary comments: "1. a. A piece
                  of land completely surrounded by water. Formerly used less
                  definitely, including a peninsula, or a place insulated at high
                  water or during floods, or begirt by marshes, a usage which survives
                  in particular instances..." (e.g. certain place names.)

                  (And related, German Au(e) < OHG ouwa.)

                  I'm completely ignorant of the history of Finnish, so I don't know
                  if changes in Finnish alone can account for the form given, but in
                  Germanic this word would be *aujo > Proto Norse *auju.

                  Llama Nom

                  --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "?????? ????????" <vegorov@i...>

                  blank email to <gothic-l-unsubscribe@egroups.com>.
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 24, 2005
                    --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <600cell@o...> wrote:

                    > Hi Vladimir,
                    >
                    > That's interesting. The nominative singular of Gothic *aujom
                    > (dat.pl.) would be *auja (feminine jo-stem). The actualy form in
                    > Jordanes is Oium/Ojum. Germanic cognates include:
                    >
                    > OIc. ey
                    > OFris. ey
                    > Langobardic *auja
                    > OE ieg (survives in MnE island, with spelling influenced by the
                    > unrelated French isle)

                    See also modern German Eiland = Insel = island.

                    However, I thought that Jordanes' Oium is linked with modern German
                    Heim, i.e. home.

                    Cheers
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 24, 2005
                      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <dirk@s...> wrote:

                      > However, I thought that Jordanes' Oium is linked with modern
                      German
                      > Heim, i.e. home.

                      Hi Dirk,

                      Maybe, but I gather Latin writers usually render Gothic <ai> in
                      Gaina, Radagaisus, Vajasindus; Gisaleicus; Gesila, Gesimundus;
                      also 'eils' in De Conviviis Barbaris).

                      But <auj> tends to appear as <oi> in Latin, e.g. names beginning
                      Froi-, Froj- = Go. Frauj-.

                      Examples from Braune/Helm "Gotische Grammatik", and Koebler's Anhang
                      3 Wörterbuch der gotischen Namen:

                      http://www.koeblergerhard.de/gotwbhin.html

                      Llama Nom
                    • Manie Lombard
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 24, 2005
                        Hails

                        But does not auja mean "luck"?

                        Manie

                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 24, 2005
                          Hails Manie,

                          First, a correction to something I wrote: The word meaning "water
                          meadow, land liable to flooding, island, etc.", jo-stem, feminine,
                          would actually give Gothic *AWI in the nominative singular, declined
                          like 'mawi' (acc.sg. *auja, etc.).

                          I think the word meaning "luck" is cited in the form AUJA by Koebler
                          because one of the early Scandinavian runic inscriptions which
                          contains it has been considered East Germanic. But the grounds for
                          such attributions I gather is often quite tenuous.

                          The regular Gothic form corresponding to Proto Norse AUJA would be
                          *AWI as well, neuter ja-stem, declined like 'hawi'.

                          Llama Nom

                          --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Manie Lombard" <manielombard@c...>

                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 25, 2005
                            In which case: Go. *Skadinawi = OE scedenig = OIc. Skáney = Skaane,
                            if this contains the "island" word, in its broader sense of land
                            only partly surrounded by water.

                            LN

                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 25, 2005
                              --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <600cell@o...> wrote:

                              > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <dirk@s...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > However, I thought that Jordanes' Oium is linked with modern
                              > German
                              > > Heim, i.e. home.
                              >

                              > Hi Dirk,
                              >
                              > Maybe, but I gather Latin writers usually render Gothic <ai> in
                              > Gaina, Radagaisus, Vajasindus; Gisaleicus; Gesila, Gesimundus;
                              > also 'eils' in De Conviviis Barbaris).
                              >
                              > But <auj> tends to appear as <oi> in Latin, e.g. names beginning
                              > Froi-, Froj- = Go. Frauj-.
                              >
                              > Examples from Braune/Helm "Gotische Grammatik", and Koebler's
                              Anhang
                              > 3 Wörterbuch der gotischen Namen:
                              >
                              > http://www.koeblergerhard.de/gotwbhin.html
                              >
                              > Llama Nom

                              Hi Llama Nom,

                              that is interesting. I only cited the supposed link with m.Germ.
                              Heim, because it is mentioned in H. Wolfram's book (I think).

                              Cheers
                              Dirk
                            • OSCAR HERRERA
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 25, 2005
                                what is goth for then or than....the dictionary says thau,i think ,however im not sure....hwa ist gutiska faur then aithau than...tho boko qaths thau,ik thigk,auk ik im ni hails....oscar herrera

                                llama_nom <600cell@...> wrote:

                                In which case: Go. *Skadinawi = OE scedenig = OIc. Sk�ney = Skaane,
                                if this contains the "island" word, in its broader sense of land
                                only partly surrounded by water.

                                LN

                                --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <600cell@o...> wrote:

                                > Hails Manie,
                                >
                                > First, a correction to something I wrote: The word meaning "water
                                > meadow, land liable to flooding, island, etc.", jo-stem, feminine,
                                > would actually give Gothic *AWI in the nominative singular,
                                declined
                                > like 'mawi' (acc.sg. *auja, etc.).
                                >
                                > I think the word meaning "luck" is cited in the form AUJA by
                                Koebler
                                > because one of the early Scandinavian runic inscriptions which
                                > contains it has been considered East Germanic. But the grounds
                                for
                                > such attributions I gather is often quite tenuous.
                                >
                                > The regular Gothic form corresponding to Proto Norse AUJA would be
                                > *AWI as well, neuter ja-stem, declined like 'hawi'.
                                >
                                > Llama Nom

                                Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • Сергей Черныш
                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 27, 2005
                                  Hello
                                  I would like to draw your attention to limestone slab with runic inscription (http://mogilnik.narod.ru/Stella.htm). It was found by South-Bosporian expedition of the Crimean branch of Institute of archeology National Academy of Science of Ukraine on mountain Opuk in Kerch region (look at the map). Here ancient authors mentioned the city of Kimmerik. In 4 AD on mountain the citadel has been constructed when Uzunlar wall becomes a border between Chersonese and Bosporus. The Citadel survived up to 6 century AD.
                                  The size of a plate 0,62 х 0,49 х 0,20 m. Height of signs of 0,15 m, relief depth - 0,005-0,009 m (cut out was a background, so cross and signs are elevated).
                                  Publicators interpreted inscription as a herulic and descended from local pagan sanctuary ( VK Golenko, VJ Yurochkin, OA Sin'ko, AV Djanov - Runicheskij kamen' s gory Opuk i nekotoryje problemy istorii severoprichernomorskich germanzev ( Runic stone from Opuk mountain and some questions of history of germans on North coast of Black sea ) . In: Drevnosti Bospora 2. (Antiquities of Bospor)
                                  Their interpretation is disputable enough. Some of specialists considered authenticity of this find as doubtful.
                                  It would be interesting to know your opinion.
                                • Troels Brandt
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Mar 7 9:41 AM
                                    --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, óÅÒÇÅÊ þÅÒÎÙÛ <authari@m...> wrote:

                                    > Hello
                                    > I would like to draw your attention to limestone slab with runic
                                    inscription (http://mogilnik.narod.ru/Stella.htm). It was found by
                                    South-Bosporian expedition of the Crimean branch of Institute of
                                    archeology National Academy of Science of Ukraine on mountain Opuk in
                                    Kerch region (look at the map). Here ancient authors mentioned the
                                    city of Kimmerik. In 4 AD on mountain the citadel has been
                                    constructed when Uzunlar wall becomes a border between Chersonese and
                                    Bosporus. The Citadel survived up to 6 century AD.
                                    > The size of a plate 0,62 È 0,49 È 0,20 m. Height of signs of 0,15
                                    m, relief depth - 0,005-0,009 m (cut out was a background, so cross
                                    and signs are elevated).
                                    > Publicators interpreted inscription as a herulic and descended from
                                    local pagan sanctuary ( VK Golenko, VJ Yurochkin, OA Sin'ko, AV
                                    Djanov - Runicheskij kamen' s gory Opuk i nekotoryje problemy
                                    istorii severoprichernomorskich germanzev ( Runic stone from Opuk
                                    mountain and some questions of history of germans on North coast of
                                    Black sea ) . In: Drevnosti Bospora 2. (Antiquities of Bospor)
                                    > Their interpretation is disputable enough. Some of specialists
                                    considered authenticity of this find as doubtful.
                                    > It would be interesting to know your opinion.

                                    I guess you among other possibilities are searching for Scandinavian
                                    traces as you mentioned the Heruls.

                                    I am not the right to answer and llama has answered the linquistc
                                    part. I can only add the theoretical possibility that the runes
                                    represented their symbolic Norse names: Thurs (troll), Pertra (maybe
                                    stone), Reid (riding) and As (Ansuz, god), but I doubt - especiallly
                                    as the T is reverse, which might indicate a forgery or missing
                                    knowledge of runes. A relief was an unusal way to carve runes - and
                                    most of the early runes were not carved in stone at all, but I think
                                    that depends of local practice.

                                    The Scandinavian wheel crosses normally belonged to the Bronce Ages
                                    and were at the later bracteats normally replaced by the swastica,
                                    but a wheel cross was placed at one of the boats from the Baltic Sea
                                    found in Nydam - contemporary with the dating of your stone if 4 AD
                                    is the 4th century.

                                    Primarily I am interested to hear why this stone is combined with the
                                    Heruls - except for the runes of course. Is there any specific reason
                                    for that?

                                    Troels
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Mar 7 7:38 PM
                                      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Troels Brandt" <trbrandt@p...>
                                      wrote:

                                      > I am not the right to answer and llama has answered the linquistc
                                      > part.

                                      Far from it: I haven´t answered anything, only suggested some more
                                      questions! I just tried to give a summary of what sort of
                                      inscriptions have been found so far that are attributed to East
                                      Germanic peoples such as the Goths and Heruls. Anything else is
                                      pure speculation on my part.

                                      Troels mentions the idea of runes used as ideographs, standing for
                                      the concept represented by the name of the rune
                                      (called "Begriffsrunen" in German, "begrepsruner" in Norwegian,
                                      which term is sometimes translated "concept runes" in English).
                                      That´s something I hadn´t thought of, but an interesting possibility
                                      to consider. The technique is probably used in some Scandinavian
                                      inscriptions predating the Viking Age (e.g. Stentoften & Gummarp),
                                      and it is attested somewhat later in Anglo-Saxon manuscripts, but
                                      there are many inscriptions where the use of concept runes is
                                      disputed, or impossible to prove. There is one widely accepted
                                      example of a concept rune in an inscription considered to be Gothic:
                                      the Pietroassa ring, found in Romania. Here, as at Stentoften, the
                                      ideograph as part of a text which otherwise is spelt out in full--
                                      rather than a series of initials.

                                      Here is a quote from JH Looijenga's book "Runes Around the North
                                      Sea...", she is talking about finds from before the Viking period:

                                      "Personally I have difficulties determining when and if an
                                      ideographic rune (or Begriffsrune) was used, since the runewriters'
                                      criteria for using them are unknown to us. There is at least
                                      one clear instance of the use of an ideographic rune: the single j
                                      rune on the Stentoften stone, representing its name *jara
                                      meaning `good year' = harvest. The peculiar use of this ideograph
                                      is further emphasized by the fact that it was carved in an archaic
                                      fashion. The h in Thorsberg aisgzh may or may not be such a
                                      Begriffsrune, there is no graphic peculiarity (h has no
                                      archaic forerunner), but, in Antonsen's interpretation, it could
                                      symbolize its name on syntactic grounds. In some other cases,
                                      isolated runes may be read as abbreviations, such as the r in the
                                      Sievern bracteate, which apparently denotes r[unoz]. Single runes
                                      may have been read as abbreviations in the oldest inscriptions, and
                                      may later on have come to represent the symbolic meaning of the
                                      rune's name."

                                      http://www.ub.rug.nl/eldoc/dis/arts/j.h.looijenga/

                                      Needless to say, with a whole series of abbreviations, it would be
                                      very hard to narrow down the possible interpretations. If they
                                      stood for the concepts embodied in the rune names, it's easy to
                                      think up symbolic interpretations, but hard if not impossible to
                                      test them.

                                      Llama Nom
                                    • Troels Brandt
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Mar 8 5:10 AM
                                        I agree in your comments below. It was the connection Kerch - Goths -
                                        Romenia - Pietroassa - Reicherts "J"-rune (discussed as at
                                        Stentoften) which made me suggest this theoretical possibility.

                                        Troels