Re: A few questions

  • Fredrik
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2005
      Thor will be found at:
      http://www.koeblergerhard.de/germanistischewoerterbuecher/gotischeswoe
      rterbuch/NE-GOT.pdf

      And there it says his name is Þunara.

      This is how I guess 'I would like to kiss you' is said in gothic:
      Wiljau kukja þus.

      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Seth Estlow" <hammerwolf777@h...>

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 4, 2005
        Hi Seth,

        For "Thor", I think *Þunrs, might be more likely.

        I agree with Fredrik's "Wiljau kukja þus", except that "kiss" should
        be infinitive "kukjan". I'm not sure about the word order.
        Maybe "þus kukjan wiljau" would be less emphatic? But then again
        maybe you want to be emphatic... There are some clues that where
        the object of the sentence is a noun, it would tend to preceed the
        verb (in natural non-Greek-influenced Gothic)--but pronouns seem as
        if they might follow other rules, so I'm just not sure yet. I'd be
        interested to know if anyone has any more ideas about that.

        > > well. Lastly, and somewhat off-topic, how do you people feel
        about
        > > modern folk who walk around and call themselves "Goths"? I would
        > like
        > > many people to try and answer my questions.

        In a word: live & let live.

        Llama Nom