A few questions

  • Seth Estlow
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2005
      Give me you best attempts at answering these questions. First of all,
      what is the Gothic version of "Thor" again? I know the best answer
      you can give me is just a reconstruction, but I'd still like to know.
      I would like to know the names of all the major gods in Gothic.
      Secondly, can anyone tell me how to say "I would like to kiss you" in
      Gothic? I would like you to tell me how to pronounce the words as
      well. Lastly, and somewhat off-topic, how do you people feel about
      modern folk who walk around and call themselves "Goths"? I would like
      many people to try and answer my questions.
      Thank you,
      Seth
    • Fredrik
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 4, 2005
        Thor will be found at:
        http://www.koeblergerhard.de/germanistischewoerterbuecher/gotischeswoe
        rterbuch/NE-GOT.pdf

        And there it says his name is Þunara.

        This is how I guess 'I would like to kiss you' is said in gothic:
        Wiljau kukja þus.

        --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Seth Estlow" <hammerwolf777@h...>

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 4, 2005
          Hi Seth,

          For "Thor", I think *Þunrs, might be more likely.

          I agree with Fredrik's "Wiljau kukja þus", except that "kiss" should
          be infinitive "kukjan". I'm not sure about the word order.
          Maybe "þus kukjan wiljau" would be less emphatic? But then again
          maybe you want to be emphatic... There are some clues that where
          the object of the sentence is a noun, it would tend to preceed the
          verb (in natural non-Greek-influenced Gothic)--but pronouns seem as
          if they might follow other rules, so I'm just not sure yet. I'd be
          interested to know if anyone has any more ideas about that.

          > > well. Lastly, and somewhat off-topic, how do you people feel
          about
          > > modern folk who walk around and call themselves "Goths"? I would
          > like
          > > many people to try and answer my questions.

          In a word: live & let live.

          Llama Nom