Names (was: Re: Ostrogothic coins pictures)

    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2005
      Hello, Lorenzo

      A list of attested Gothic names, with indication of etymology, you
      can find in Annex 3 of Koeblers Gotisches Wörterbuch: "Gotische Namen"
      (http://www.koeblergerhard.de/germanistischewoerterbuecher/gotischeswo
      erterbuch/GotischeNamen.pdf)
      There is also a good site: "Gothic Names"
      (http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Salon/2385/gothnames.html)
      which gives exactly what you need: the significance of the Gothic
      name elements.
      Using these sources, the names listed by you could be explained as
      follows:

      Theodoricus: thiuda- "people" + reiks "ruler / king"
      Athalaricus: athala- "noble" + reiks "ruler / king"
      Amalasuntha = Amalaswintha: Amala + swintha "strong" (fem.)
      Eraricus: era- (aira-) ? (air "early" or era "era" ??) +
      reiks "ruler / king"
      Matasuntha: ? mahta- "mighty" or matha "good" + swintha "strong"
      (fem.)
      Theodahatus: thiuda- "people" + hathus "fight, struggle, battle"
      Witiges: weiti "punishment" + geis < geisls "hostage"
      Ildibaldus: hildi- "war" + badws "war"
      Baduila: badw- "war" + -ila (diminutive suffix)
      Totila: unknown etymology; in any case, a diminutive (because of the
      ending –ila)
      Theia: probably a diminutive from an unknown full form

      Best regards,
      Francisc
    • OSCAR HERRERA
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 1, 2005
        whats the word for would....ist wesith thau hwa....wes ist waurd faur were...samaain gatiehan mis....thagkam

        OSCAR HERRERA <duke.co@...> wrote:
        who were the amals...also when you use would,like for instance were is wes , so is would wesith....you could use skuld or should ,but would and should are different words....oscar herr

        brianbeck_au wrote:

        --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, yafet_rasnal@y... wrote:
        > ostrogoths/visigoths/gepids/vandals kings? And maybe explain me the
        > meaning of their names? I just know that Amalaswintha means virgin
        of
        > the Amals.
        > Thanx
        >
        > Lorenzo
        Hi Lorenzo,
        I believe Amalaswintha actually means "Strength of the Amals" < G.
        swinths, strong (cf. O.E. sw�th, strong).
        Cheers,
        Brian Beck

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 2, 2005
          In my previous mail, I missread Ildibaldus as "Ildibadus" and
          analyzed the word as hildi- "war" + badws "war".
          In fact it is:
          Ildibaldus: hildi- "war" + balths / bald- "bold"

          Francisc
        • yafet_rasnal@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 2, 2005
            Thank you very much. it's really interesting

            Lorenzo

            --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Francisc Czobor" <fericzobor@y...>

            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 4, 2005
              --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, OSCAR HERRERA <duke.co@s...> wrote:
              > whats the word for would....ist wesith thau hwa....wes ist waurd
              faur were...samaain gatiehan mis....thagkam

              > OSCAR HERRERA <duke.co@s...> wrote:
              > who were the amals...also when you use would,like for instance
              were is wes , so is would wesith....you could use skuld or
              should ,but would and should are different words....oscar herr

              Hi Oscar,

              For a table of verbal inflections in Gothic and related languages:

              http://titus.fkidg1.uni-frankfurt.de/didact/idg/germ/gotverb.htm

              In English, the words "would" and "should" each have a number of
              different uses, which would be translated in different ways into
              Gothic. Often "would" is not represented by a separate word in
              Gothic, but by a change in the form of the verb, usually the past
              subjunctive (sometimes "past" is also called "preterite", and some
              people call the "subjunctive" the "optative"--but in Gothic these
              refer to the same thing).

              Simple statements are usually in the indicative mood: WAS "it was";
              but the subjunctive mood expresses doubt, uncertainty WESI "it would
              have been". WESUN "they were"; WESEINA "they would have been".
              TAWIDEDUN "they did"; TAWIDEDEINA "they would do / have done". Just
              as there are indicative endings for past tense and present, in both
              active and passive voices, so there are past active & passive
              subjunctive endings and present active and passive ones.

              Some examples:

              WOULD

              1) hypothetical: "that WOULD have gone against what is appropriate"
              (if he did that, but he didn't, so it's just hypothetical, an
              imaginary possibility).

              3) possibility (whether): "they watched him to see if he WOULD heal
              on the sabbath so that they could accuse him" (he might yet do, but
              so far we just don't know).

              3) intentional: "and many made threats to him SO THAT HE WOULD BE
              SILENT" (or: ...to be silent / ...that he should be quiet / warned
              him to be quiet, etc).

              4) concessive (then, in that case--accompanying an "if"
              clause): "WOULD it not then seem...?"

              5) future in past: "for he WOULD betray him" = he was going to
              betray him (but this hadn't happened yet at this time in the story).

              1) þatuh wesi wiþra þata gadob
              2) jah witaidedun imma hailidediu sabbato daga, ei wrohidedeina ina
              3) ei þahaidedi
              4) ni auk þuhtedi þau...
              5) sa auk habaida ina galewjan

              Things to note:

              1 and 3, "would" is represented not by a separate word, but by a
              change of inflection in the verb to the subjunctive mood,
              specifically the past subjunctive. Thus: WAS WIÞRA ÞATA GADOB "it
              was inappropriate"; WESI "it would have been". The subjunctive has
              various uses besides this, connected with the idea of uncertainty or
              unreality or wishing/intention: maht wesi frabugjan "it could have
              been sold" (but it wasn't); nih qemjau jah rodidedjau du im,
              frawaurht ni habaidedeina "if I hadn't come and spoken to them, they
              WOULDN'T have had sin".

              2 also uses the subjunctive, but with the addition of the
              interrogative particle -u. The quote is from Mark; Luke's gospel
              expresses it in a slightly different way: witaidedunuh þan þai
              bokarjos jah Fareisaieis, jau in sabbato daga leikinodedi, ei
              bigeteina til du wrohjan ina "now the scribes and Pharasees kept a
              watch to see if he WOULD heal on the sabbath, so that they
              WOULD/might/could have a chance to accuse him".

              In 4, the concessive particle ÞAU would probably come nearer the
              front of the clause if it wasn't for the other particle AUK. E.g.
              iþ weseis her, ni þau gadauþnodedi broþar meins "if you had been
              here, then my brother would not have died"; jabai allis Mose
              galaubidedeiþ, ga-þau-laubidedeiþ mis "if you had believed Moses,
              then you would have believed me". ÞAU can be omitted in the "then"
              clause, whether the "if" clause is introduced by IÞ or JABAI or
              simply a subjunctive verb as in the example NIH QEMJAU... above.

              5, future in past, is a compound tense formed with an infinitive
              verb + the past tense of haban "to have".

              The subjunctive is also used in various other circumsatnces where
              English has "would" expressing uncertainty, e.g. "we went to see
              what he would do" (MADE UP EXAMPLE, TREAT WITH CAUTION: iddjedum ei
              gasehveima hva tawidedi; iddjedum gasaihvan hva wesi þatei tawidedi--
              or something like that maybe), and requests "would you
              [please]...?". In fact the irregular verb WILJAN "want" only has
              subjunctive-like forms: WILJAU "I want/like, I would like".

              SHOULD

              This is often expressed with the Gothic verb SKULAN, e.g. skulum
              weis "we should / ought to".

              Obligation "should" or "must" can sometimes be expressed with the
              combination of neuter past participle of skulan + the verb "to be"--
              SKULD IST +dative, e.g. skuld ist unsis "we must/should... / we are
              obliged / have a duty to" + infinitive. Ni skuld ist unsis "we
              should not / are not allowed to / it is not right for us to..." +
              infinitive.

              The passive is similar, except that SKULD is inflected for person
              and number: allai weis ataugjan skuldai sijum faura stauastola
              Xristaus "...we must all be shown [i.e. appear] before the judgement
              seat of Christ"; sunus mans skulds ist atgiban in handuns manne "the
              son of man must be given into the hands of men".

              I've used "must" here, but it's easy to see how such constructions
              might be equivalent to English "should", for example in indirect
              speech, perhaps with Gothic subjunctives. If MAHT WESI FRABUGJAN
              = "it could have been sold", presumably SKULD WESI = "it should have
              been". I can't think of an example of this right now...