The -andans form of strong verbs ?

  • AIFoundations.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 27, 2004
      Hi. I have been trying to understand verb forms such as 'nimandans',
      as found in Matthew 27:6,

      "iþ þai gudjans nimandans þans skattans qeþun: ni skuld ist lagjan
      þans in kaurbaunan, unte andawairþi bloþis ist."
      And the chief priests took the silver pieces, and said, It is not
      lawful for to put them into the treasury, because it is the price of
      blood.

      Comparing to other verb forms, it would be a -andans conjugation. I
      have looked at the strong verb conjugation charts in Wright (S. 286)
      and Streitberg and found nothing to explain this form. I have found
      dozens of other verbs conjugated with a similar ending but it's got me
      stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

      --
      Ted Karas
      AIFoundations.org