Re: Seasonal greetings

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 24, 2004
      ...Ooops, I accidentally posted that before I´d finished typing.
      Anyway, as I was saying, the case of a noun or pronoun might depend
      on the preposition that comes before it, so in your example, "on the
      net" would be ANA NATJA, dative. But if you wanted to say "I put it
      on/onto the net, that could be dative or accusative ANA NATI
      GASATIDA, or ANA NATJA GASATIDA.

      But some presositions always take one case, e.g. DU is always with
      dative. You just have to learn them, I guess.

      FAUR ÞO LAISEIN "for that teaching"
      ANA ÞAMMA NATJA "on that net"

      And of course, there are several different declensions of nouns and
      adjectives, as in Latin, etc., each with their own set of endings,
      arrrgh!

      Anyway, I have to go now, but keep writing in Gothic and look up
      some grammar, and I´m sure you´ll get the hang of it. I´ve got a
      lot to learn myself. Hope I haven't made any mistakes here. Best
      wishes to you too,

      Llama Nom

      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, OSCAR HERRERA <duke.co@s...> wrote:
      > thagkan faur so laisarein.ik im swe finthandan..ju sind god mith
      gutiska,auk ni invizei talzand ana so nati.....guth bidjan....thanks
      for the lesson. im still learning...you are good with gothic,but why
      dont you teach on the internet....god bless....i thought supan was
      season...larzizuh i think i spelled it rite but i meant everyone
      with that...hlastan i thought that was happy,so maybe i spelled
      wrong.....

      > llama_nom <600cell@o...> wrote:
      >
      > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, OSCAR HERRERA wrote:
      > > god hailida du alagutiskam...haf goda jer jah hlastai supanam du
      > larzihuhain
      >

      > Likewise Oscar,
      >
      > I think... But could you translate larzihuhain for me? Here's what
      > I *think* the rest says: "good health to all the Gothic folks..." -
      -
      > that's us right? -- "have a good year and lots of booze...?"
      >
      > I guessed *hlast- = OE hlæst "load". The OE word is neut., but
      the -
      > t- suffix is a common way of forming nouns in Go. from strong
      verbs,
      > making fem. i-stems. Or if you wanted an attested word, you could
      > use _ufarassus_ "an abundance, a lot".
      >
      > Koebler has *supa "drink, booze", if I remember. Masc. an-stem, so
      > the dat.pl. is probably *supam.
      >
      > _jer_ is neuter, so you want _goþ jer_, or _godata jer_.
      > *hailiþa "health" would be feminine: goda hailiþa.
      > But there is a (probable, though not certain) neuter unhaili "poor
      > health" attested, so you could have: goþ haili.
      >
      > And the imperative of _haban_ is _habai_.
      >
      > Hope that hasn't dampened your cheer :)
      >
      > Llama Nom
      >

      > > llama_nom <600cell@o...> wrote:
      > >

      > > Goda Jiula jah hlas niujata jer jah þus Iggwimer!
      > >
      > > Llama Nom
      > >

      > > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Ingemar Nordgren"
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi dear list-members,
      > > >
      > > > I wish you all
      > > >
      > > > A Merry Christmas/Yule and A Happy New Year!
      > > > God Jul och Gott Nytt År!
      > > > En Glædelig Jul og et Godt Nytår!
      > > > Frohes Weinachten und Ein Glückliches Neues Jahr!
      > > > Bon Noël et Une Bonne Novelle Année!
      > > > Bueno Navidad e un Año Nuevo Felidad!
      > > >
      > > > If you have problems with Christmas gifts or New Years gifts
      you
      > > can
      > > > e.g. visit Amazon and serch for "The Well Spring of the
      Goths".