Re: Seasonal greetings

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 23, 2004
      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, OSCAR HERRERA <duke.co@s...> wrote:
      > god hailida du alagutiskam...haf goda jer jah hlastai supanam du
      larzihuhain

      Likewise Oscar,

      I think... But could you translate larzihuhain for me? Here's what
      I *think* the rest says: "good health to all the Gothic folks..." --
      that's us right? -- "have a good year and lots of booze...?"

      I guessed *hlast- = OE hlæst "load". The OE word is neut., but the -
      t- suffix is a common way of forming nouns in Go. from strong verbs,
      making fem. i-stems. Or if you wanted an attested word, you could
      use _ufarassus_ "an abundance, a lot".

      Koebler has *supa "drink, booze", if I remember. Masc. an-stem, so
      the dat.pl. is probably *supam.

      _jer_ is neuter, so you want _goþ jer_, or _godata jer_.
      *hailiþa "health" would be feminine: goda hailiþa.
      But there is a (probable, though not certain) neuter unhaili "poor
      health" attested, so you could have: goþ haili.

      And the imperative of _haban_ is _habai_.

      Hope that hasn't dampened your cheer :)

      Llama Nom

      > llama_nom <600cell@o...> wrote:
      >

      > Goda Jiula jah hlas niujata jer jah þus Iggwimer!
      >
      > Llama Nom
      >

      > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Ingemar Nordgren"
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi dear list-members,
      > >
      > > I wish you all
      > >
      > > A Merry Christmas/Yule and A Happy New Year!
      > > God Jul och Gott Nytt År!
      > > En Glædelig Jul og et Godt Nytår!
      > > Frohes Weinachten und Ein Glückliches Neues Jahr!
      > > Bon Noël et Une Bonne Novelle Année!
      > > Bueno Navidad e un Año Nuevo Felidad!
      > >
      > > If you have problems with Christmas gifts or New Years gifts you
      > can
      > > e.g. visit Amazon and serch for "The Well Spring of the Goths".
      > am
      > > sure such a gift is appreciated by all your history-interested
      > > friends (with some exceptions, of course). They will have many
      > hours
      > > of interesting reading and maybe, for some persons, also the
      > benefit
      > > of being able to complaint on silly ideas. Some like to release
      > their
      > > agressions in that way and so they will save the cost of a
      shrink.

      > > Best wishes!
      > > Ingemar
      >

      > You are a member of the Gothic-L list. To unsubscribe, send a
      blank email to .
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • OSCAR HERRERA
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 24, 2004
        thagkan faur so laisarein.ik im swe finthandan..ju sind god mith gutiska,auk ni invizei talzand ana so nati.....guth bidjan....thanks for the lesson. im still learning...you are good with gothic,but why dont you teach on the internet....god bless....i thought supan was season...larzizuh i think i spelled it rite but i meant everyone with that...hlastan i thought that was happy,so maybe i spelled wrong.....

        llama_nom <600cell@...> wrote:

        --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, OSCAR HERRERA wrote:
        > god hailida du alagutiskam...haf goda jer jah hlastai supanam du
        larzihuhain

        Likewise Oscar,

        I think... But could you translate larzihuhain for me? Here's what
        I *think* the rest says: "good health to all the Gothic folks..." --
        that's us right? -- "have a good year and lots of booze...?"

        I guessed *hlast- = OE hl�st "load". The OE word is neut., but the -
        t- suffix is a common way of forming nouns in Go. from strong verbs,
        making fem. i-stems. Or if you wanted an attested word, you could
        use _ufarassus_ "an abundance, a lot".

        Koebler has *supa "drink, booze", if I remember. Masc. an-stem, so
        the dat.pl. is probably *supam.

        _jer_ is neuter, so you want _go� jer_, or _godata jer_.
        *haili�a "health" would be feminine: goda haili�a.
        But there is a (probable, though not certain) neuter unhaili "poor
        health" attested, so you could have: go� haili.

        And the imperative of _haban_ is _habai_.

        Hope that hasn't dampened your cheer :)

        Llama Nom

        > llama_nom <600cell@o...> wrote:
        >

        > Goda Jiula jah hlas niujata jer jah �us Iggwimer!
        >
        > Llama Nom
        >

        > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Ingemar Nordgren"
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi dear list-members,
        > >
        > > I wish you all
        > >
        > > A Merry Christmas/Yule and A Happy New Year!
        > > God Jul och Gott Nytt �r!
        > > En Gl�delig Jul og et Godt Nyt�r!
        > > Frohes Weinachten und Ein Gl�ckliches Neues Jahr!
        > > Bon No�l et Une Bonne Novelle Ann�e!
        > > Bueno Navidad e un A�o Nuevo Felidad!
        > >
        > > If you have problems with Christmas gifts or New Years gifts you
        > can
        > > e.g. visit Amazon and serch for "The Well Spring of the Goths".
        > am
        > > sure such a gift is appreciated by all your history-interested
        > > friends (with some exceptions, of course). They will have many
        > hours
        > > of interesting reading and maybe, for some persons, also the
        > benefit
        > > of being able to complaint on silly ideas. Some like to release
        > their
        > > agressions in that way and so they will save the cost of a
        shrink.

        > > Best wishes!
        > > Ingemar
        >

        > You are a member of the Gothic-L list. To unsubscribe, send a
        blank email to .
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 24, 2004
          Hails Oscar!

          Aha, you're thinking of the verb SUPON "to season" -- but in the
          sense of "to add something to food to make it more tasty". Easy
          mistake to make: the word "season" just has these two completely
          different meanings in English, confusingly enough...

          I can't think of a good word that means exactly the same as "season"
          (in the sense of a time of the year, the Christmas season), but
          maybe something like DULÞAIS MEL "of-the-festival" + "time", or in
          other words "the festive season".

          Could the last bit be DU IZWIS ALLAIM "to you all"?

          But all I know is a little bit from grammar books and dictionaries
          and what little I've read of the small amount of the Gothic Bible
          that has survived. So I'm sure you know more far English than I
          know Gothic.

          Here's my lesson for tonight, anyway. Gothic is a very inflected
          language, which means that lots of things can cause words to change
          their endings. Whenever a noun or pronoun is used, it must
          be "declined", that is, it has to have the right "case ending".
          There are four cases, and they each have singular plural endings.

          Verbs change their endings depending on who is doing the action, and
          how many they are, and for various other reasons.

          wulfs qam "the wolf has come"
          wulfos qemun "the wolves have come"

          wulf gasahv "I/he/she saw a wolf"
          wulfis tunþu gasaihva "I can see a wolf´s tooth"
          wulfa tunþu atgaf "I gave the tooth to the wolf"
          þana tunþu nima af wulfam "I´m taking that tooth off the wolves"
          sa tunþus hveits was "that tooth was white"
          þata tawida faur wulfans "I did that for the wolves"
          Qim wulf! Ni sokei mik beitan! Gif mis tunþu þana hveitan! "Come
          wolf, don´t try to bite me! Give me the white tooth."

          etc.

          Sometime´s it´s obvious what case to use. The Nominative is usually
          used for the subject of the verb. IK QAM "I came". But certain
          verbs take unexpected cases, e.g. accusative HUGGREIÞ MIK.

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 24, 2004
            ...Ooops, I accidentally posted that before I´d finished typing.
            Anyway, as I was saying, the case of a noun or pronoun might depend
            on the preposition that comes before it, so in your example, "on the
            net" would be ANA NATJA, dative. But if you wanted to say "I put it
            on/onto the net, that could be dative or accusative ANA NATI
            GASATIDA, or ANA NATJA GASATIDA.

            But some presositions always take one case, e.g. DU is always with
            dative. You just have to learn them, I guess.

            FAUR ÞO LAISEIN "for that teaching"
            ANA ÞAMMA NATJA "on that net"

            And of course, there are several different declensions of nouns and
            adjectives, as in Latin, etc., each with their own set of endings,
            arrrgh!

            Anyway, I have to go now, but keep writing in Gothic and look up
            some grammar, and I´m sure you´ll get the hang of it. I´ve got a
            lot to learn myself. Hope I haven't made any mistakes here. Best
            wishes to you too,

            Llama Nom