Re: John 14:12 - máizona

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 29, 2004
      Hi Robyn,

      _máizona_ is the weak neuter accusative plural.

      As explained in para. 234, comparatives are always declined weak,
      just like the present participles in para. 239 (except that masc.
      nom. sg. of comparatives is always -a).

      In J 14,12 _máizona_ describes an unstated noun _ "works", which is
      being compared to the earlier _þo waúrstwa þoei ik táuja_ "those
      works which I do".

      Actually I think a modern editor has accidentally put the comma in
      the wrong place here. It makes more sense if we punctuate it more
      like the Greek and English versions (
      http://www.wulfila.be/Corpus/Find.asp )--

      12. Amen amen qiþa izwis: saei galáubeid mis, þo waúrstwa þoei ik
      táuja jah is táujiþ, jah máizona þáim táujiþ; unte ik du attin gagga.

      "Truly I say to you: he who believes in me, he too will do the works
      I do, and he will do greater [works] than them; for I am going to
      the father."

      Llama Nom